Character mesh has gone after project crash

After project crash (random crash as always), my character mesh has gone and details panel of the mesh is completely empty. also i was working on my player blueprint when crash occurred and it is totally irrelevant with my mesh. Engine version 5.3.1

Whenever any program crashes (not just unreal), there is always a high possibility that the work done will be affected due to memory load failure. I’m afraid, you will have to redo again, create a new class and copy-paste the whole thing again if your fix attempts meet a dead end.

Also, is there a reason why you think your engine crashes? This is something that supposedly does not occur regularly. If it does, then you might have missed some required steps to use the engine. First thing first, does your computer meet the minimum requirements to run Unreal? Are there any outdated/experimental plugins that you think affect this? Does your GPU support DX12?

I dont think there is a problem with my gpu, i have 3060ti. Maybe 16gb ram is not enough but i dont think that was the reason this time because i was just doing simple things in my character blueprint.

Alright, then it can be anything. Another guess would be, did you allow Unreal Engine to pass through the Windows firewall? Unreal Engine seems very hostile towards any system protection software. Be sure to allow Unreal access to make changes to your drive.

How about pre-requisite software? Did you install the required software and make sure they are updated?

Doesnt launcher automatically installs these prerequisites ? i dont know if they are updated tho. Im used to crashes but this one is a big problem this blueprint contains a lot of data so i cant copy it into a new class also i dont know if i can replace broken mesh. Atleast i have backup from 3 days ago otherwise it would be a huge problem for me.

I am about 8 year user Unreal Engine. Amount of crashes hard calculate. :rofl: So I do copies for every stage of project I afraid to lose. Sometimes files can be corrupted with no crash. So, sure to made copies as much as you can :ok_hand: :wink:

True, i will make copy of my project everyday after this incident :smile:

1 Like

Strange. The crashes may be true for some engine faults but they won’t occur as regularly as it gets. So, my other guess will be the memory leak or something with hardware interference. Hard references, huge texture size, too many material instructions, a huge amount of particle rendering, too many ticking instances (like AI and movement components), etc can lead to memory issues thus causing the crash.

All these fall under the developer’s control. It means we need to carefully design our workflow by ensuring all these aspects are not too overwhelming. These steps fall under the optimization stage.

so… there is no solution yet?

Are you having the same problem? Try changing to Directx 11 and see if it fixes.

No i only encountered with this bug once. I couldnt find any other solutions so I changed my character bp with my backup.

I am on 5.3.2 and just had this exact same thing happen. Was working on the character blueprint and now the mesh (which I hadn’t touched for some time) is gone and game crashes when trying to play. Really difficult to move forward as I’m new to unreal and already have been very confused.

Try to create a brand new project and import your metahuman to see if the problem occurs. If it does not, then probably your main project might have something off. From here, you can migrate to your main project and see if it works fine.

That’s why I don’t personally use metahuman for my projects, they are in the experimental stage and I think they are not yet well-optimized for games.

For this particular project I did not have metahuman assets at all, I was actually just wrapping up with the Blueprint tutorial series from gamedev.tv and finishing ‘Mars Marine’ and trying some line trace nodes out. Really strange bug overall

This just happened to me too, no crash occurred though just opened my project and now that mesh’s details tab is broken and the class seems borked. Going to make an empty base character class and reparent to that and see if it fixes

Throwing my voice in as well.

This has happened to my project, no meta human, just manny being used.

I noticed the crash would happen when toggling customdepth stencil settings on the player blueprint. On reopening the project, the root component is changed, the mesh component is completely empty, including the details panel being totally blank.

Only way to recover was through gitlab or from the autosave directory, nothing in editor will fix it. Unsure how to proceed as I cannot use the customdepth pass on my player without this occurring.

1 Like

Just had the same issue (5.3.1), no fix as far as I know

This just happened to me too in 5.3.2 when I opened my project this morning. Mesh was missing from character blueprint viewport, and the details panel was completely blank. Nothing seemed to help. Fortunately I back-up to a git server every day, and reverting to a previous version from a couple days ago fixed the problem. Had to redo some work as a result, but I’m just happy to have it resolved. Very weird!