Character hit on line trace

Hello,

I have an enemy at which I’m shooting using linetrace.
How can I make the enemy aware of this event?

Should I trigger a hit event for the component or what will be best solution for this?

UPrimitiveComponent * otherComp = HitResult.GetComponent();

Or will it be better to get the class from the component (if this is even possible) and execute some function then?

Thank you

Hi ,

There are multiple ways to do this, but if you’re trying to get the enemy to react, you could do something similar to this function for making a projectile deal damage to an enemy/player by letting them know that they’ve been hit and telling them to run a function to hurt themselves essentially:

void AMyProjectile::ReceiveHit(class UPrimitiveComponent* MyComp, AActor* Other, class UPrimitiveComponent* OtherComp, bool bSelfMoved, FVector HitLocation, FVector HitNormal, FVector NormaImpulse, const FHitResult & Hit)
 {
     Super::ReceiveHit(MyComp, Other, OtherComp, bSelfMoved, HitLocation, HitNormal, NormaImpulse, Hit);
     AMyCharacter* placeholder = Cast<AMyCharacter>(Other);
     if (placeholder)
     {
         placeholder->ReceiveDamage(ProjectileDamage);
     }
 Destroy();
 }

This particular function, ReceiveHit, is a collision detection event that is being overridden from a base class in the engine, but it can give you a good idea. This particular projectile is only suppose to deal damage to a certain class, therefore I have it store a cast to that particular class using the ‘Other’ (The other actor that is being hit) variable in a pointer. This will determine if the thing being hit is indeed that class. I then use an If statement to check and have the pointer call ReceiveDamage on that object so that it gets hurt.

Hope this helps!

Hi ,

that was the solution I’m looking for :slight_smile:
What I did (because I did not know better) was

if (otherActor->IsA(AEnemyy::StaticClass()))
	{
               //blueprint implementable event
		this->AttackEnemy(otherActor);
	}

and then casting the character in the blueprint.
But this seems to be a bit to overcomplicated.

Thanks a lot for your support,
A step deeper again for me in UE :slight_smile: