Character Customizer System

Again, I clearly state that you need customizable characters to use this blueprint system. It’s stated in the description and in the video. I have absolutely no plans on releasing models with this system. The market is not only meant to cater hobbyists and providing a blueprint package does not require in any way that you also supply 3d models. The title isn’t misleading at all, it’s stating exactly what this system does, it customizes customizable characters, it applies morphs and customization to NPCs, it is a character customization system. It is not a 3d model, it is not a customizable character (in fact, it clearly states that to use this system you need to have a customizable character so logically it isn’t a customizable character.) It is a blueprint system and that is all it will ever be. This is a blueprint submission.

I added the following line to the description to ensure we clear that up.
This is a BLUEPRINT submission.
It is not a customizable character.

like a boss -

lol, that made my day. :smiley:

See, I understand that the market is in dire need of customizable characters. I don’t even think there are any on the market yet. Currently you either have to make your own or pay someone else to make it for you. I’m not a character modeler myself, sure I know how to do it but it’s not my specialty and I wouldn’t personally feel comfortable releasing one given that it isn’t my field. Yes, I do model extensively, I also script extensively, but I am a prop and environment modeler by trade. Character modeling is an entirely different field of expertise. It’s considered an entirely separate job market in the industry.

Herein lies the old “Chicken” or the “Egg” routine. Just because there aren’t customizable characters on the market now doesn’t mean that there won’t be in the future. Also consider that there are plenty of people that can attain or have already attained customizable characters. Whether or not this package takes off selling several copies right away or down the road doesn’t matter as much as the fact that eventually these kind of packages are going to be a welcome sight when customizable character models start popping up in this market. Taking for example that if there currently were several customizable characters on the market no one would give this package a second guess. It would be a sure in.

I see this hitting the market because I’m pretty sure Epic wants to encourage character models being added to the market. This package just gives character modelers one more reason to contribute to the marketplace. All that aside, there also isn’t a single package on the market, free or otherwise that can do what this package can do to the extent of which it can do it. It’s about as polished a system as one could hope for and comes with a complete tutorial system covering it from the ground up. I’d honestly be amiss if this doesn’t get accepted.

Approved. Release date scheduled for November 11th.

If you want to avoid people bothering you (and refunds requests) I think you should write clearly and in big capital letters “3D Characters not included” here and on the marketplace description,
I’m pretty sure “It is not a customizable character.” is not enough.

Yea, that is included in the marketplace description. It states the following:
Please note that the character featured in the video is not included in this system. This is a blueprint system only.

I just added that to this thread as well. Out of the copies that I’ve sold on Sellfy everyone seems pretty happy with it but you are right, there will always be those people that buy before reading the description. Epic brought that up too and that’s why that line was added to the long description. I even went a step further and made note of it in the second video demonstration.

For those that purchased your product through other sources will it be possible to apply that purchase to the unreal marketplace?

I don’t think Epic has anything setup like that. Gumroad and Sellify are separate companies from Epic as far as I know. Epic is putting together some kind of seller dashboard so it might be possible in the future but right now I don’t think it is. I know Unity lets you give out free vouchers for packages in their store so there’s a good chance that Unreal will do the same. If they do, I will definitely get that setup for everyone that has already bought it prior to it’s release date on the Unreal Market.

Greeting all,

I have chosen to delay the release of this package. RBrown and I have teamed up to release an even more complete package. RBrown is a very talented character artist as some of you know. He is developing two character models, complete with morph targets and bone scaling. The package will also include some hair types and clothing types. We will be packaging this character customizer system with these two customizable character models. As such I have requested that Epic Games not release this package on Nov. 11th as was previously scheduled. The packages release date is being placed on hold while we develop this more complete customizable character solution.

It’s going to be a thing of beauty and we’re already a long ways into development.
Our team will create a new [WIP] thread soon regarding the package in development.

Stay Tuned!

I have a question, how do I morph the clothes with the body also using blender?

Do you mean in the game engine or in Blender? If you mean Blender then I wouldn’t know as I don’t use Blender. If you mean in the game engine then the way to do it is to send the Morph Target call to the Inherited Mesh. Problem is, that’s currently bugged in UE4.9 and UE4.10. Epic is aware of the bug and they have yet to fix it. Otherwise, your best bet is to use a bone scaling method which completely avoids the bug, that’s the route that we’re taking to avoid the bug.

More info on the engine bug can be found here.

Epic does know about the bug in the Engine and they did state is it on their list of bugs to be fixed.

So hmm, using bones is not really an option for me as you wouldn’t be-able to get shapes like body fat, lip thickness, nose size, width and depth also other things I wish to have. Unless there is a way to do that with bones that I am unaware of. I have tried the bone rescalling method and I do use that for some of the transform such as scaling the body size and such, as I feel morphs are not needed for that.

I am very new to unreal and only been working with it for like 3 weeks now. I have to say that its really easy to use and I have learnt soooooo much. I am able to create exactly what I want but this morphing business I have spent most of my time on this subject alone, little did I know it was a bug :frowning:

I have some ideas on how I would achieve this using blender but its long, complicated and would be very time consuming. Also if I was to add a different item all together say I want to add earrings and we didn’t previously have any earrings. I would have to do a lot to get them to work. How did you achieve the clothing morphs with the body? Well seen as they are going to fix this issue, it would probably be a lot of wasted time to do this.

Would it be a good idea to use a previous version of UE4 until they fix it?

Also in the ticket it states

But the link isn’t working for me to see the commit and apply the fix myself.

Why can’t you just buy Iclone 6 Pipeline pack with Export license at 699$ which will really help you to add your own custom characters in this content. And those come with royalty free license so you can bundle the customized characters in commercial assets as long as you carry the export license.

I’m new to unreal 3 weeks or so I been using this engine and I don’t have money to throw away like that. I’m here to learn how to create games and I know I will make something amazing :smiley:

Edit: Also Nightasy I am also going to create the same system you provide here, I have excellent skills in UI design, cognitive/conceptual analysis and have also studied things such as Fitt’s law and other principles that apply to GUI. It might be a good idea to work together lol :smiley:

Arre this was not for you , this suggestion was for the owner of the content :P.

That fix does work but you have to be logged into Github to use that link. The link will say the page doesn’t exist unless you are logged into Github prior to clicking the link. Otherwise you’ll have to use UE4.8.3 because all versions after 4.8.3 have the bug in them.

Regarding your other concerns. I’m guessing that you are modulating your character model? As in the head is a separate model from the body? That’s kind of what it sounds like you’re doing. If that is the case then the bug is definitely going to be a problem for you. Currently only the Inherited Mesh is receiving the Set Morph Target call. It is not being propagated to children objects due to the bug and thus you can only morph the Inherited Mesh of the actor. Nothing else will morph and yes, I know, that sucks.

I’d say, to keep it simple, either wait for the fix while working on something else or use UE4.8.3 until it’s fixed. You can bookmark the issue on Answerhub that I linked earlier because Epic Staff said they would for sure be updating that ticket once they have the bug fixed.

Oh, lol, you don’t gotta worry about that. RBrown and I are in a team. He’s a very talented character artist. He makes outright gorgeous character models. We’re putting together a spectacular package. We don’t have any issues currently as we’re working around the bug. I’m just giving this guy some help.

I don’t think I asked the question correctly in the beginning. My problem is this, I have set a morph on a character to change body size, how would I also apply that morph to say a T-shirt, do I also have to create a morph target on that T-shirt. Because the T-shirt has no morph targets. This is where I am confused. Did you create morph targets on your clothes also and use that function to drive both values in unreal?

Thanks for your response!

Yes, the shirt also has to have a morph target. However, the shirt won’t morph unless it’s the Inherited Mesh. Chances are, it won’t be. Chances are that your character’s body is set as the Inherited Mesh. The bug will not morph the shirt with the body. What is supposed to happen is provided the name of the morph is the same on both models, both models will morph at the same time. For instance, if you have a morph target called hipwidth on the shirt and you have a morph target also called hipwidth on the body model then you only need to send one Set Morph Target call to the Inherited Mesh. It would not only morph the body but also the shirt because both models have a morph target with that name. Only problem is, all versions beyond 4.8.3 are broken in this aspect and will only morph the object assigned as the Inherited Mesh (the bug of doom.)

Okay so I understand that, what is the best way to apply morphs to the T-shirt also so that they morph perfectly. The method I am thinking of will require me to write a plugin for blender as you can’t just copy a morph to a new object mesh unless they have the same vertex count