I have seen a few posts here and there about interest in character customization / creation.
I have solved all the necessary steps towards making a complete system that deals with clothing, color changes, customized proportions, and so forth. I’m in the process of making a stand-alone package that encompasses everything I’ve put together from scratch (for cleanliness and readability) as well as full documentation & how to’s.
Hopefully, over the next 24-48 hours it will be in a state of near-completion and I can post up a lot of the images of what I’m working on, but currently as I’m restarting it’s all in bits and pieces
- A working example
- Maya scripts for automating the setup for clothing and so forth & potentially Blender scripts also
- Full documentation & tutorial on how to use the system and get it working for your game
- A 3D character with animations for use in the example
- A UI to show the capabilities that you can update with your own art or use as-is
- Created fully with blueprints - you wont need to code
How it will work
The system will require setup inside of your 3D package for it, how much depends on how much you need it to do. Initially there will be scripts for Maya and likely for Blender but I can consider supporting other products if they support FBX and Python, however I would have to learn that package sufficiently so there will need to be good demand.
Currently it uses a Character Creation screen to generate all the data to store about the character - such as what items (armor, clothes, weapon) to start with, colors for items and/or skin color, eye color and so forth, and lets you sculpt your character based on the criteria built by the artist. It is possible to have completely different looking characters generated from a single mesh.
The Player will select a base character, and proceed to choose the size of the belly, chest, weight, head shape, jaw size, nose size, and anything you wish to implement. Then the player can select what items to start with and their colors of the items/character.
What I’d like to know from the community
- How much would you expect to pay for this system?
- What features would you like to see in this system?
Please share your thoughts