Character completely messed up from blender to Unreal Engine

Hi everyone. I’m having serious problems with a character I made in Blender that I need now to be playable in UE5, possibily with Manny animations. I followed several tutorials, followed all the instructions, but the model seems to be completly broken in Unreal Engine. I tried everything, also importing model with applied scale,location and rotation from blender, with unit scale decreased to 0.01, without applying scale, but nothing seems to work. You can see the blender model in the image and the model in UE5 in the video. It is completely broken: it scales up and down during walking and the legs have a weird position (also the orientation, but I know how to fix that). The skeleton I used for it was made in blender with the “game rig addon” following this tutorial [Blender addon] Rig any character with the UE5 Manny/Quinn skeleton - YouTube

(I’m going to add the cloth pieces after I finish to import the main character)

I’ve found it tricky at times importing skeletons/meshes from unreal, but usually I can fix any issues and below are a few things that may help debug the issue.

I’m not familiar with this addon though so can’t provide much input on that specifically.

• Make sure the skeleton is not called armature. This can create some bugs in the animation when inside Unreal.
  • Try exporting out without changing any scale setting and just keep it at 1.
  • Make sure no leaf bones are being added (untick in export options).
  • Check that the skeleton rotation / scale is set to 1 (resetting may deform the mesh so make sure you can undo / have a backup before proceeding).
  • When exporting - in transform options - make sure Forward is set to the forward direction of your character (which is x going by the screen shot).
  • Try the epic/blender tools for importing instead (you do need to register your epic account via the Epic browser for access) https://github.com/EpicGames/BlenderTools

I’ve done the leaf bone one, but I will try the others, I’m tired of this

well so now it behaves this way… 2023 02 20 19 11 28 - YouTube

EDIT: Fixed it, just deleted the legs IK mechanism.The only problem now is the root bone orientation, or just try another idle animation

I’m happy to take a look at the blender file if you are okay to share it. If you’d prefer not to no worries. Sounds like you’re not far off fixing the issue. Perhaps try another animation as well - as you mention maybe an idle one.

I fixed it, maybe not perfectly, just a workaround, but I got the visual effect I wanted

1 Like

Hey, So I have this anime character creator and in blender when I fit my personal clothes to mesh it moves and fits as it should seeing that i tweaked and fixed it up however in unreal engine its the complete opposite, the clothes are deformed

Hey so im getting an issue where whenever I fit my clothes asset to the base mesh in blender it moves and fits perfectly however in unreal engine it looks deformed