Character collision solution with complicated meshes - for example Valley of the Ancient type

Hello

I’m creating level for my game and nowadays new possibilities coming.

For example, the use of instanced meshes, many complex solids like rocks, stones and other landscape elements, game maps - not ordinary landscape.

This is a revelation for graphical and visual effects, but I have a big problem with interacting with the environment.

Below is my attempt at landscape using assets from Valley of the ancients.

this map is of medium size - about 3x3km, elements are very carefully connected, checked. You can go through it many times, but there are always a lot of places to get stuck - and you can’t correct them, fall or be knocked up.

Who knows the subject - I don’t have to explain what the problem is. My game is open world fps. The player has to walk around the terrain, he drops items. Dropping is not a big deal, we can assume something will fall between the stones and cannot be retrieved.

However, the problem is with the character collision. On my sample, fairly large map, I have a landscape entirely made of instanced meshes from Epic. They are well done, many people have been working on it for a long time. However, it often happens that the collisions are inaccurate - the player walks in the air, it’s not a big problem yet. Worse, it falls into invisible holes in many places - although checking the asset, the collision is correct in this place. It also happens that he is thrown to a great height, although the character does not have physics turned on - probably a teleport.

I think the problem is that both instanced meshes and merged meshes necessarily create quite complicated collisions. I’ve done a lot of testing myself combining different rocks, both as instanced meshes and merged ones. Also, I was using both simple collision and complex - after testing I also had this problem. Of course complex collision cannot be used in production, it’s just a test.

Is there any solution to this problem? Instanced meshes are great as a performance solution, but for me they are now useless as a production solution in places where the player has access. The problem also occurs when using only a few rocks that are connected, for example, in a regular landscape.

Maybe I’m doing something wrong? I’m looking for tips, thanks in advance.

I can provide examples and screenshots if necessary