Character Blueprint change/remove base components

Hi, I created this Character Blueprint and Im trying to add a basic model to test things out in the game. The thing is that the main component “Capsule Component” cant be moved or edited or anything and I want my character to have an horizontal position. I cant change rotation on that Capsule Component and the Physics are based on that capsule only.
I tried adding what you see in the picture (static mesh + collider), but when I add physics to the static mesh, it detaches from the blueprint in game like if it was another object. Thats because I cant make the Static Mesh a child of the main Capsule Component.
What would be the solution? How do I change or edit those original components?

Hey @ElSopero!

So you can’t alter inherited components from a C++ class without editing it in C++ and believe me, unless you’re an expert in it you do NOT want to open “Character” and mess around with a few thousand lines of code. (If you are, by all means go for it!)

Generally you don’t want physics enabled on a character as it will ragdoll. Ragdolls are just regular characters that have had physics turned on on their meshes- their collider is still in its original place.

If you want your player to have a horizontal position, I highly suggest using the “Pawn” class-
Character is pretty much locked to bipedal humanoids, and pawn is MUCH more customizable. :slight_smile:
Hope that helps!

1 Like

Ok, I see. Yea I definetly dont want to get into the C++ code, I figured that would be extremely out of my knowledge. I will try with the Pawn, as you suggested.
A question about what you said of physics, so in general to player character (either character or pawn blueprint) you dont activate physics? Because how you make it fall if there is a cliff, or bounce into something, or have other gravity effects?
Thanks for the help!

Ah, okay let me be a bit clearer-
The character is a pre-created class that saves you a good amount of work. The Capsule Component has to be the base- by default, it has physics enabled, but it is locked on the X and Y axes so it doesn’t fall over. Anything BENEATH that in the hierarchy, if you enable physics on it without constraints, it will ragdoll. So: Yes a character has Physics enabled, with constraints, and only on the Capsule component.

You can do the same with a pawn, but since you want a horizontal character you’ll HAVE to use a pawn and manually add physics to the ROOT, and only the ROOT. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah ok, I understand. Thanks a lot for the explanation and help! :smiley:

1 Like