Chaos Vehicle: Wheel Detecting Ground Upside down?

Hello!

I have this wierd issue I can’t seem to get around. Chaos Wheeled Vehicle wheels are acting strange.

Everything works quite nicely in general, but when my car is upside down, the wheels somehow detect the ground, try to jump towards it as much as the suspension limit let’s it (makes the car dance), instead of just having the suspension pushing the wheels upwards, and that’s it.

Is there a way I can limit the ground detection distance? It doesn’t make sense to detect it this far either way? Or if I could set up the detection to check only downwards, as it should be right, I’m not expecting the car to be driveable upside down…

Please help xD Thank you!

Whelp. I solved it with a shamefull solution, BUT it solves the issue I guess.

Basically I reduce the Wheel Size, when the car is close to upside-down, and the wheel doesn’t touch the ground…

Please If you have an actual solution, I would love to understand why the line trace shoots upwards and twice the size of the wheel diameter…

I suspect this might have something to do with this setting in the wheels blueprint

I took the default sports car and set the wheel radius to some ridiculous value, and as long as this setting is set to raycast than the wheel radius has no effect when the car is dropped to the floor when its flipped. If its set to sphere/shape cast than the radius does have an effect because the trace is going to the floor even when the car is flipped.

Yeah but the spherecast is the only one actually giving me correct wheel collision with things in the scene. I didnt think that the simple cast actually doesnt have this issue, thank you for pointing that out!

With that I agree, I also use the spherecast. It’s worth it despite the added calculation costs.

The off-road vehicle from the template uses shapecast for example, and is fine when turned on its back. If you turn it on its back with spherecast instead the wheels kinda break.

In your current situation I would try:
1.trying shapecast

2.doing the whole process of setting up the vehicle from scratch, maybe something was done incorrectly the first time.

3.honestly, just sticking with the “ugly” solution you came up with. At the end of the day if it works, it works. That’s all that matters.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.