Chaos Vehicle Low Gravity Issues

Hello Everyone,

I’m using Chaos Vehicle plugin in EU5 and having issues when I change the world gravity to -162 which is 1/6th earth gravity/the moons gravity. The back wheels which are powered by the engine are spinning excessively when they come into contact with the ground. I am assuming the calculated friction is affected by gravity and is causing this issue. The back wheels are pretty much doing burn outs. It seems they are instantly spinning at full speed.

PhyX vehicle works just fine in UE4 with low gravity.
This also works fine when I change the gravity back to normal.

I’ve searched the internet looking for anyone with the same issues but I haven’t found anything.

Does anyone have any solutions, ideas or has experienced this or something similar before?

Thanks.

Tire friction force is affected by the vertical load on the tire and hence depends on the weight of the car (mass * g). If you reduce g, the vertical load also decreases and the tire will develop less friction. Not sure how PhysX was handling it since this is a general rule. What you can do to compensate for a lower g is to increase the mass of your vehicle. That should increase the overall tire friction force and reduce their spinning / skidding.

1 Like

I managed to fix this issue two ways, by enabling ABS on the chaos wheel blueprint or by increasing the friction multiplier within the chaos wheel blueprint. I didn’t want to increase the weight because I already tried up to 1000kg+ and it the wheels were still spinning. (I also wanted to keep the weight realistic)
I still think this is may be an issue with chaos considering how much I had to increase the friction multiplier by.