Chaos Physics in UE5 EA and beyond

Thanks for the reply; really appreciated. How did you ultimately proceed? PhysX in UE 4/5?

I’m following my own advice basically: Waiting for 5.0 to make a decision. If it turns out Chaos Destruction won’t work though I’m still unsure what I will do.

2 Likes

Hello,

I am using an Early Access UE5 project with Chaos physics. I have been doing some experimentation with Chaos destruction. I don’t always get the expected results when attempting to have a Geometry Collection Actor collide with a Static Mesh actor. A dynamic geometry collection actor that is moving can pass thru a static mesh that is in the path of motion of that geometry collection actor… Also, for geometry collections that have been broken up into it’s cluster pieces, I see the cluster pieces sometimes collide with static meshes in the world and sometimes the cluster pieces can pass thru static meshes in the world.

I’m not sure what my expectations should be for this type of interaction at this stage of UE5.

Should I expect that collision between geometry collections and static meshes work the same as collision between multiple static meshes?

Thank you,

Mark Heinen

Have someone found a way to enable physX in UE5 preview/5.0? Trying to get vehicle plugin work with it. Heard physx is deprecated but not removed. Would love to use blueman´s vehicle physics plugin in UE5. Chaos is possibility but unknown still how it works with vehicles. Blueman’s plugin been perfect

It’s an option when building from source. Can’t enable it if you just use the launcher version.

Ok, thanks. Will try to look into that. Seems like some target booleans are set.

Why is the cloth function of ue5 much worse than that of UE4, and the self collision is very slow, lacking the radius setting of self collision. Sometimes this function can simulate the initial shape of cloth,

Just wanted to tune in and say this is resolved, and works as intended (although I didn’t do performance comparisons)

Sorry Epic, but we cannot use a physics engine that works 50% of the time. Also, collision with a landscape hardly ever works.

Hi, I would really appreciate if you could elaborate on this. What was the scale of your world and what sort of problems did you encounter.
I’m asking because I’m trying to foresee problems we may encounter in our future large scale project.

Thanks

Since i wrote this post, double precision support for chaos has been added trough large world coordinates ‘as far as i know’.
But for large / complex worlds the issue remains to generate collision only around the players, and when multiplayer is involved it gets tricky.

You can add it in Ecent Tick! This will always work