Chaos Physics in UE5 EA and beyond

Except Chaos being much inferior to the other option, of course.

2 Likes

I’m not disputing that. But like I said, since Epic has full control over Chaos and virtually unlimited resources to improve it, I can see how they find it attractive to use Chaos over PhysX

Please be a bit more realistic, afaik for years PhysX was dead, when UE4 came out the wheeled vehicle physics was so bad that many people just left to use other engines, personnaly i removed all vehicles from my project as it was just a pain in the backside, now Epic is developing Chaos we can hope things will improve. all the complaining remines me of the UT4 debate, 99’s vs 2004’s vs We want something new. So please report on issues, and make constructive ideas, but please stop comparing. either that or go back to win98 when evey thing was better or even better play Space Invaders in the arcade.

3 Likes

Can anyone tell me if it’s possible to remove chunks of destructed meshes? Like breaking the wall and gathering the broken pieces. It wasn’t possible with old physics.

It certainly is more performant right now. Of course one has been around forever and the other is still in beta.

Which is why they should keep PhysX until Chaos is 1:1 comparable. For example, I have a feeling Chaos won’t play well with Oculus Quest and not-top-of-the-line phones.

Yes, what your looking for are “Chaos Fields”. They can disable simulation or kill chunks of destroyed meshes.

1 Like

Thanks, looking forward to try that out.

I’d like to report some unexpected behaviour of Chaos vehicle physics. The vehicle ignores most surface transformations - eg. rotating platform or moving platform under the vehicle is ignored by the vehicle, it slides under it without modifying its orientation or location. This was tested and easily reproduceable with the chaos vehicle template. This behaviour worked fine and as expected with the PhysX vehicle. Can we see a fix to this anytime soon maybe?

Any workround to make ‘Chaos’ working in Sequencer?

1 Like

Looks like Chaos Destruction Demo in Marketplace is marked Unavailable?

Seems that Chaos Physics RigidBodies don’t wake up once they’ve got to sleep.

Here I have the hair set to ragdoll. Waiting 2 to 5 seconds before pressing a key to move the character the pony tail is left behind. Pressing E key executes “Wake All Rigid Bodies” on the hair. Then the pony tail snaps back and works again, until you stop for 2 seconds. Then it breaks again.

2 Likes

Chaos Ragdoll Broken in UE5-Main

On ue5-main, I am getting very strange behavior trying to create new physics asset for character. The stock Third Person Template PhysicsAsset has the same problem…
Ragdoll curls up into ball ( in both Phat simulation and in game).
Phat editor Simulate seems broken too - even simulating single body not working.
Migrating existing working ragdoll from UE4 doesnt work either.

Has anybody had any decent ragdoll working in Chaos/UE5?

(Interestingly, Chaos Ragdoll works fine in the new 4.27 Chaos Build)

(Trying to ascertain if it is something I am doing wrong or it is just broken)

Thanks for any feedback

1 Like

As already said, PhysX 5 is light years ahead of anything else, but it seems PhysX 5 will not be available under open source / BSD 3 license as PhysX 4. I think Epics would be happy to use PhysX 5 in UE5, but some deep licensing issues prevent this from happening.

1 Like

PhysX 4.1 is still far superior to chaos and available under open source license.

2 Likes

So I’ve been testing Chaos Destruction in UE5 and I really have to ask: Is this system intended to be usable in environments that the player can traverse through? Such as being able to walk through a building where the player can destroy floors and walls? Or is this not intended to be a supported use case?

I ask because I’m finding it exceptionally difficult to get usable results. The main issue is that the only reasonably accurate collision type is level-set, and it is extremely janky. Walking over unbroken floors with level-set collision results in jarring bouncing of the player capsule and routinely getting stuck. The player capsule can also just phase right through solid geometry using levelset collision by simply wiggling back and forth a bit.

Box collision is less accurate, but more reliable… or would be, if it were not for the fact that Chaos seems unable to properly fit a box to any mesh in a reasonable orientation. I built a geometry collection from a rescaled default cube, if there was ever an ideal shape to fit a box to, it would have been this. But the geometry collection fit the box to it at a 45 degree angle…

It feels like it is really only usable if you can quarantine the player from it, such as what was demonstrated in the previous demos: Destroying structures that the player can’t collide with… And I’d really like to know if that’s the expected use case for this.

3 Likes

Played a bit with chaos destruction in ue5-main and had a couple more questions:

1. I noticed “Convex” is now a collision shape option, does this mean we’ll be able to build and import our own convex hulls?
  2. I like the new disolve feature for sleeping pieces, will it be possible for us to build our own disolve effects? Such as disintigration via material/niagara. (Perhaps something similar to how we’re able to make custom distance culling effects in the material editor through the DistanceCullFade input node)
  3. Mesh based slicing is cool, and has worked great for me so far. But it’s inconvenient to only be able to do one slice at a time. Will we have the ability to do multiple slices at once at some point?

they have done what blender types did when they got lots a cash and started releasing so fast that tutorial makers could not even keep up, and now you see the result of there push to a tech that is while flashy on top end cards its very very resource heavy and not enough people out there can get those cards to make games viable …they need to support both or risk a real fracture of the industry and they havent been listening to any of us …they would rather put blm and politics in fortnite …then do what is best for the gamers and developers.

i am not going to migrate up to 5 being forced to that the 1660 i managed to get before it doubled in price isnt even made any more and its comparable card now is the 3060 which is so pricey few during a pandemic when bitcoin is so high will be able to get one…

no word of a lie if i were them id slow this cycle of updates down to every 6 months till supplychains and card prices level out…the card that runs a ps4 is not made anymore either and goes for 4 times what it started at…

nvidia is basically saying to unreal that if you want to make things based off top end tech fine but we also want to support more gamers …yessss the 1660 can d ray tracing but tis so terrible that who would want to use it…also now we have operating system bs to deal with again
tons a devs stayed on win 7 for a long time cause we had more control…now take that away with ten and have even less with 11 , the time of using windows for game develeoping is coming to an end unless both unreal and ms smarten up.

@Jambax the reason you want physx is cause its literally 3x faster and while it might not have some features what it does have makes for for more larger community to sell your games etc too…
In other words if youwant to sell to as few as possible you make a game in unreal 5 with chaos…

i wont buy it my card can barely handle that ■■■■.
well epic grew hobbyists and devs until this version …mark my words the exodus is coming.
OH and the main reason is sony loves it cause there ps5 and ms’s new xboxes all will have that hardware and this is the age of SCREW THE PC user …i find it strange to see a 3060 INSIDE a fully stocked 32 gb 1 TB pc wiht top end intel cpu that goes for 300 more then the card by itself and thats across the industry as in they are doing all this on purpose.

2 Likes

Did you ever find any helpful info for the issues you raised here? I’m currently evaluating Chaos for a project.

The box collision issue (where it would fit a box at an angle instead of what would best fit the shape) was fixed in the source build of UE5-main the last time I checked (which was admittedly a while ago). Everything else was still hopelessly broken and I never found solutions for them.

I also never got any clarification as to whether Chaos destruction was ever intended to be usable for environments that the player could move through.

I also discovered that Chaos geometry collections have no representation in the Lumen scene so they can’t get stable GI and can’t provide correct skylight shadowing. I posted about this in the Lumen thread asking if there were plans to address this, and again, never got an answer.

Chaos Destruction was still getting updates the last time I checked. They had added some new features including convex hull collision which might address the issue of navigating destructible areas… maybe. I couldn’t actually get it to work.

My advice would be to wait until 5.0 officially releases, I assume there will be a lot more information available then and the whole system will be more usable… maybe. If you have to make a decision now then I would personally not use it, because right now it barely works and there is basically no information on what the intended use cases are so it’s anyones guess if it will ever get better for your particular purposes.

3 Likes