Chaos - Geometry Collection material not changing

I’ve selected a mesh and saved it as a Geometry Collection actor using the Fracture menu in UE5.0.2. When I did this, the mesh had the WorldGridMaterial defaulted as it’s primary material.

When I try and change the material in the Geometry Collection actor, it does not update. I’ve tried changing the material on the original mesh, changing the material in the ‘Source Material’ option, and changing the materials in the ‘Materials’ section. I could create another Geometry Collection by changing to the required material on the original mesh before fracturing, but I would like to change the material dynamically and don’t want to create multiple Geometry Collection actors for the same mesh.

Also a separate issue: when I use a blueprint and use the ‘Add Geometry Collection Component’ node, I can’t change the mesh I want to use dynamically. If you use the ‘Add Mesh Component’ node, you can than use the ‘Set Static Mesh’ node off of that. You can’t do this current with the Geometry Collection component. I’m assuming these are issues to do addressed later since the Geometry Collection actor is new.

I’ll add a ticket soon, but I wanted to see if other people have solutions or if I’m doing something incorrectly.

1 Like

EDIT: The editor was restarted and now the material seems to be changing. I’ll mark this as resolved, but hopefully it’s fixed so that it works without having to restart the editor.

This happened to me yesterday, restarting the engine doesn’t work, it still has the default checkerboard material applied to it. Does anyone else have this issue?

3 Likes

Whoever is looking still for an awnser: Open the Geometry Collection → Search for “Enable Nanite” and disable it… Have a nice day.

Disabling Nanite did not fix it for me, works fine in the editor but still getting checkerboard material in the build.