Chaos Cloth Interaction With Capsule Component

Hi guys!

I have a question regarding a Chaos Cloth curtain and the interactions it has with the player’s Capsule Component.

As you can see in the video below, the capsule interacts badly with the curtain.

Capsule Component — Player Blueprint

I went and setup another blueprint with another Capsule Component, which matches the settings of my player Capsule Component and to my surprise, it interacts very well and as I intended.

Capsule Component — Separate Blueprint

I am banging my head on the wall, trying to figure out what it might be caused by.

What am I missing here?

Here is the hierarchy of my player blueprint.

Everything except for the Capsule Component is set to Query Only, so it should not affect the physics collision.

Thank you so much in advance!

Okay, so after tinkering with this a lot, I have figured out the issue.

Apparently, different ROTATIONS of the Capsule Component affect how it interacts with the cloth. Check out the following video to see how rotation affects it:

Capsule Component — Rotation Issue

Any idea what would be a good fix for this?

For anyone struggling with this, I have found a solution :slight_smile:

It seems that there’s an issue with the Capsule Component’s collision body.

It’s supposed to be a simple Capsule but it interacts very oddly IF you rotate it.

So to combat this, the simple solution is to add a Box Collision component to your blueprint and use that for collision with the Cloth instead.

Here are the collision settings for the Box Collision:

Here are the collision settings for the default Capsule Component:

For my specific use-case, I rotated the box by 45 degrees to get a better interaction with the curtains. You can see it in action here:

Capsule Component — With Box Collision Instead

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.