Changing the navigation system's default null area?

Hello,

by default the navigiation system sets unwalkable areas to “Null” and basically cuts them out of the nav mesh so no agent ever considers walking there. Is there a way of changing this to instead just giving unwalkable areas an increased cost?

e.g. in this picture i want to areas that have no color to instead just be red.

i have tried modifying the “UNavArea_Null” in the source code but that didn’t do anything.(i’m on a compiled version)
btw. the goal of this change is to create an ai that destroys obstacles if they are blocking the way and avoiding would cost to much.
any help is appreciated.

What I would probably do, although it would require design work for each thing, would be to create a custom NavLinkProxy that instructs the character to destroy the item before resuming pathing. The items would be dynamic obstacles rather than simple static mesh geometry.

If you really wanted to go your route, you could extend the nav mesh generator and add features to it to do something like that automatically. The Unreal Tournament 4 source code has some examples of how to extend many of the navmesh related classes to achieve something sort of similar, although it’s more like producing a bit simpler behavior like jump points automatically.