Changing Texture Material Parameter Name temporarily forces all instances to use the original texture

I was working with material instances.

I needed to change the parameter name on the base material for a Texture2D paramater.

This caused all instances of the material to use the default base material’s texture instead of their texture that I set up.

This affected thumbnails and UMG widgets that I was working on for me. I didn’t have a chance to see what would happen in game.

I reopened each material instance and this caused the overridden texture for that instance to load in and update the thumbnails and UMG widget editors I had open.

Restarting the editor may help reset this as well but I didn’t have a chance to try.

Hi illYay -

Thank you for the report. I was able to reproduce this issue internally and have submitted a bug report on it, for reference UE-8392. It does appear to affect items in the level as well as thumbnails but can be fixed by either having the MI open when you save the base material or opening the MI afterwards. This workaround should at least allow you to keep working while we investigate the issue

Thank You Again -

Eric Ketchum