Changing over from FPS to third person project

So I’m pretty new to unreal engine and I started a project in FPS but now I want to change it to third person instead since a lot of the YouTube tutorials I’m watching say pick the third person and just change the camera angel to be in the head so would be a huge help if someone could explain the process to change it over. Thanks!

You need 3rd person character from third person template. If I can suggest, create empty third person project, make your character, then you can migrate it to your fps project. After migrate you should change game mode to start from this 3rd character, not fps.

What you need I think is True First Person or in other words - Full Body Awareness. Fastest tutorial you have here: UE4 True First Person Tutorial - Character with Shadow and Body - YouTube but real game need much more, here other tutorials for Full Body Awareness

Actually I have figured out how to migrate it now I’m stuck on actually bringing the third person in and deleting the first person shooter guy since I don’t want him in it at all just the third person, sorry about the noob question

Could you please explain how to migrate it please since

So I used this information to merge. ( How can I switch the FPS skeleton, to the UE4 mannequin from the 3rd person template? - Character & Animation - Epic Developer Community Forums ). but from there I don’t know what to do, am I meant to drag the character mesh onto the screen and then do what you said since when I do what you say my third person character doesn’t come up in the default pawn class

In response to: “Actually I have figured out how to migrate it now I’m stuck on actually bringing the third person in and deleting the first person shooter guy since I don’t want him in it at all just the third person, sorry about the noob question”

Step 1: Add New → Blueprint Type.
Step 2: Select GameMode Base and Name it whatever you want.

Step 3: Open your new GameMode Base Blueprint and set the new Default Pawn Class to your Third Person Character (mine is named FP_Hero as my game is First Person, but it works the same way from FP ro TP and TP to FP.

Step 4: Click on Edit on the top window bar, then Project Settings. Click Maps and Modes, and you will see some options appear. Click the Drop Down for Default GameMode, and select the GameMode that you created in the beginning.

No question is a noob question, and they are always more than welcome here! The community is more than happy to assist! Let me know in a comment if you need any more help!

Also, I would recommend using the FP template for your work and using the Full Body Awareness. If you don’t want to go that in depth yet, you can go into the Default First Person Player you were using and make the capsule size bigger to make up for the body. If you do that, there are even things called IK Setups, [follow this link to learn more][5] where you can make a line from the hand to the gun and place the hand firmly against it, and it allows you to have the hands lift the barrel up so it won’t collide with the walls and adds a professional smooth transition.

2 Likes