Changes to the official Unreal Engine Wiki

What an insane decision! Maybe epic got hacked and they shut it down cause they don’t know how they got in yet? I hope the wiki goes back up after the investigation is done. Cross your fingers.

Yes, the wiki had many great C++ examples, such as file management, threads, etc. I don’t personally feel the official documentation is in depth enough of such low level concepts to have warranted taking the wiki down because there’s no telling how long it will take that content to get incorporated into the official documentation.

Update - the link below says the wiki was taken down for security reasons

Yes! Found a solution, please download immediately from the page (or fork that on github) the backup this great guy has done, michaeljcole, on github:
https://michaeljcole.github.io/wiki.unrealengine.com/
If there was a failure on the wiki from server on ue4 with this they will at least partially restore the wiki (or serve us only static pages).
Hope that will be useful to all you guys :smiley: !

Literally, this is the worst decision in the world. What’s already a tough learning curve is now just even steeper. Not cool.

Absolutely brain dead move.

At least convert the site to a static, read-only site and put it back up.

A tech company claiming they don’t have the knowledge to work around a security issue in a Wiki software and giving up is just embarrassing Epic.

It would be great. I got some articles dump for a while. But there’s only nearing 400 pages and it’s quite hard to use and explore them… So I guess we’ll got alternate version of wiki to comfortable search and use…

Epic, PLEASE find a way to get the wiki pages back online! There is so much great information that has been lost.

This is really bad news…

You simply don’t do something like this before announcing it. I also had some articles that helped bookmarked, and I’d like to make a local copy online.
Despite loads of pages containing wrong or outdated information, it was still good overall.

I wouldn’t mind if your own UE4 documentation was good, but it’s actually very basic. It makes you think you know stuff as it only tells you generic stuff, but then when you actually go and use the systems, you realise there is ton more to know and it’s just not anywhere to be found except in the source code.

Previously I thought “Should I learn Unity too?” now I think “I must learn Unity before UE falls”

I’ve been with UE for 2 years and love this engine very much, I’ve never used official documentation or guides after the first month
Basically, official documentation and tutorials are so weak, that looking through engine source is more productive

So please don’t kill this engine

This is not cool at all. I remember using the wiki so much because the official documentation has so tiny amount of information that it is useless in so scenarios. I don’t understand why Epic doesn’t hire a person to do proper documentation with proper EXAMPLES. It is almost impossible to do anything with the information the official documentation provides because there are no examples at all. For example, all the struct and enum manipulation examples Rama had were a pretty cool thing to have in wiki. The official documentation about C++ enums doesn’t have any examples. Only the list of functions and variables. The Rama version had an example and some cool UPROPERTIES to use with it.

And how about function pointers that were documented in the wiki? There is no official documentation with examples of how to use the function pointers. Rama had a page where he showed cool tricks on how to use them. A LOT of information is gone now for the people who are new to this stuff.

I love the unity documentation as there is always a code snipped along with the documentation that shows how something is used. I really hope Epic has something in their sleeve.

Extremely disappointing!!! As some people already pointed out, this was the best source for low level knowledge…

There’s no info in docs about UE_LOG, it is not under this topic, or it has horrible semantic for search engines.
We need it back one way or another!

How would Newcomers in C++ start it? Numerous articles about how to set up DS and such stuff, there were tons of invaluable info!

if it would be needed, we will rise against it!:o:rolleyes:

so i was using a few wiki pages to get through the keystore setup nightmare which your official page did a terrible job on, it had different solution paths to try… it’s now gone and with it any real chance i had of getting that issue fixed, i haven’t even checked the other pages i used yet, this was a **** move on epics part and very anti customer and developer. put it on a seperate server like many others do and leave it be, because your decision making in regards to this was obviously not done by using your brains. i’d been balancing between learning ue4 and unity, i think if these unproductive decisions continue making it harder for use to do and learn, then i may just choose the latter and leave ue4.

This is really disappointing.

Epic, please seriously consider hiring some experienced devs to work on your documentation and update it. Not only is the official documentation often out of date, it is many times misleading at best, or outright incorrect at worst.

I fully agree with Rama. This feels like a step towards the end of open UE4. And if anyone’s word here should carry weight, it’s his.

Terrible idea, almost every time I use UE4 I rely on the wiki, honestly what a bad decision.

Please re-open the thing!!
It was the best address for leaning resources that exceed the official documentation – which is rather incomplete by the way.
For every crazy scenario a programmer could stumble upon Rama and all the other guys had an example and code snippets there that were a huge time saver.
This renders most of my bookmarks void…

So please put it back online.

There is a backup: An Archive.org backup of wiki.unrealengine.com | wiki.unrealengine.com

Taking this at face value,

Epic needs to hire contractors able to secure the Wiki from malicious actors,

There is really essential information in that Wiki that I do not have saved, and is not available anywhere else. The bookmarks that have travelled between several OS reinstallations over the years types of importance.

This is a really terrible decision and going forward, a true barrier to entry for any programmer moving toward UE4 in the future.

stumbled upon this from a bookmarked link in my favorites, this is crazy