Change the color of the albedo only in the shaded areas

Please see the pictures attached. The first one is a material with albedo and normal textures. The second I made in photoshop to show the effect I am looking for:

I would like that the object gets a bluish tone only in the shaded areas. Naturally, if lighting changes, the blue tinted area moves only to the new shaded part.

In a way it would be the opposite of having a light with color, where light tints the object with its color where the highlights are. In this case, regardless of the color of the light, the shadows would be tinted (blue, for example).

Thanks for your help!

D.

Hi dmtzcaln,

You can get a similar result by using the “SubSurface” mode in the material - a Blueprint of:

produces:

Thank you, that look great!

The issue is that I am already using subsurface in the material that gives a reddish tone where parts are thin. Is there a way to apply two Subsurface Color in a single material? one for thin highlights and one for shadows?

D.

1 Like

I’m not aware of any way to do multiple colors with subsurface. There is subsurface profile but I’ve not had that working.

You could create some blueprint code to calculate the color via a passed in light position, or the easier could be to do a manual mix of the red based on a texture value.

Try plugging the color into the occlusion pin.

I think this is what I am looking for. Any suggestions how to come about it? What would the input for passed light be?

It’s not the easiest of things to do, if the light is dynamic there has to be a way to pass the light position into the material (either a dynamic material instance or a material parameter collection) and the material itself has to calculate the shading from that light position and either the vertex normal or the pixel normal (pixel normal is much slower). I didn’t go all the way through the video linked below but it looks like it’s on the right track (start at around 1min 40secs).

This is awesome! Thank you.

1 Like