Celeste style camera positioning

Hi, I’ve downloaded Unreal for several days now and is trying to change the default camera from the 2d paper’s template version.

I’ve looked at a lot of places for camera movement, but I still don’t understand how to detach the camera from the character and make transitions between zones like in the platformer game Celeste. I read somewhere that turning off auto activation disables camera movement but that step didn’t seem to work for me, the camera still follows the player. I assume that the zone transition can be made with a box trigger of some sort, but I have no idea on how to position the camera.

If anyone knows any methods, tips, or even learning materials, please do share them!

Thank you very much, and I hope that I can be part of this awesome community.

Hey Edenfree,

I would suggest looking into the View Target with blend node (it really needs a better name in my opinion). This will allow you to switch between cameras. That way you can transition between following the character and not.

Here is a video I found on youtube that goes over this (I didn’t watch all of it but it seems like it should be able to get you pointed in the right direction)

Link: HTF do I? Change Cameras in Unreal Engine 4 Blueprints - YouTube</tit

I hope that this information helps.

Make it a great day

Thank you! Coincidentally I ran into that video yesterday just before you replied.