Capture Excluded Frame - MetaHuman Performance

I’m currently working with Unreal Engin 5.4 and running into the problem that my recordings for the MetaHuman Animator show up with these (seemingly randomly placed) “Capture Excluded Frames” when opening them in Performance.
When I try to process the clip the processing will stop as soon as it reaches one of them and won’t continue with the rest of the recording.

My current work-around is to close the Performance Window, open it back up, select the next unprocessed part, process it and repeating these steps until I have all the frames done.

Is anyone else running into this problem? Does anyone know if you can delete these “Capture Excluded Frames” that are placed automatically?

Thanks in advance!

CaptureExcludedFrame_02

I did notice the option of “Processing Excluded Frames” but it seems to be locked/grayed out.

Yes, I’m running into this exact issue. It instantly crashes as soon it processes one of these “Capture Excluded” Frames. This hasn’t happened in previous versions of UE 5 or 5.3

I wonder if this will ever be fixed.

1 Like

Hi. Apologies for the problems you are having.

Is this HMC or iphone footage?

Hi, did anyone work out what was causing this issue? I’m recording on an iphone

Capture excluded frames are frames which have not recorded correctly. Sometimes the RGB or depth cameras on the iphone can drop frames when recording, particularly if the phone is low on power, getting hot or other tasks are running on it. When that footage is brought into MetaHuman Animator these frames are identified and marked up. MetaHuman Animator can not process these frames because there is incomplete data. If you view the RGB or depth images for these frames you should see the issue, eg the depth data is empty or a copy of the previous frame.

When you process a sequence which has capture excluded frames the processing will either (a) skip over the excluded frame if its a single frame (b) process the sequence in separate sections if the excluded frames form a section greater than a single frame.

Animation will be interpolated for the excluded frames.

Note there are other classes of excluded frames. There are user excluded frames where the end-user can manually mark up sections of a clip they do not wish to process, eg the actor went briefly out of frame, scratched their nose etc. And there is processing excluded frames where the MetaHuman Animator processing has marked up frames it knows its produced poor animation values for so that these values are not used and interpolation from good values is used instead.