Can't set the "escape" key as an input action key

I made an options menu where you’re able to change your controls using Unreal Engine’s built in key mapping system. Everything is fine, except I’ve noticed that the standard key to stop a user from modifying the key is “escape”, but I want the user to be able to assign the “escape” key as well.

The problem is: I can’t assign the “escape” key if I want to pause my game. It just reverses my modification of the key I clicked on.

This is my options menu:

This is when I try to change the key, everything still fine:

300520-ue42.jpg

This is when I try to assign the “escape” key. It just makes me undo the change, but I want the “escape” key to be assigned there instead of “P” how would I do that?

300521-ue43.jpg

I have to say, I’m not sure what the ‘standard keymapping’ thing is :slight_smile:

For my menu system, once I’d turned off ESC in the editor, it never had any effect after that and could be mapped:

Hey! Thanks for your reply. Sadly this doesn’t fix it. What I mean with “standard keymapping” is that the “escape” key must be a default cancel key to stop the user from changing a key mapping when you’re changing it.

It’s good to know however, thank you for this information. I changed my “stop” value to Ctrl+Q and now I can open my pause menu in PIE mode when it’s bound to “escape”.

Yeah, I don’t think you can have both. If ESC is cancel, then you can’t map it as well… :-/

I think you’re right, thanks a lot for your help. I’ll just remove the key mapping of the pause menu so the user can’t change it and give it a default value (escape). That might be the easiest solution.

The issue itself isn’t resolved but we found a workaround I’d say so I’ll flag this as resolved. Thank you!

Excellent :slight_smile: