Can't Sculpt or Paint on Landscapes

My landscape seems to be locked for sculpting and painting. I can’t make any edits and the brush cursor doesn’t appear in the editor.

• I have three landscape objects in my scene (main landscape and two distant mountains). All appear to be locked.
  • Initially I could sculpt and paint with no issues, I think the problem started after I quit and reloaded the engine.
  • The problem might also have started after I added a spline layer to create a road, however deleting the spline layer (and/or all layers except the base layer) doesn’t fix the problem.
  • ‘Enable Edit Layers’ was checked at import (heightfield imported from World Machine)
  • I’m in Unreal 5.1
  • Video of the problem is below

hi @JamesEMalcolm

You seem to have 3 landscapes in your outliner. Make sure that the one you are editing is at the top (maybe hide the others?) and make sure it is the correct landscape selected at the top of the landscape panel.

Other than that its strange, but i see no tool outlines so im guessing you are targeting the wrong landscape, or technically spoken “'Tis Broken”

Thanks for your reply High500, however the landscape objects have no overlap/intersections (I assume this is what you’re getting at when you say ‘make sure the one you are editing is at the top’). And as you can see in the video, the correct landscape is selected in the landscape panel.

Does anyone else have any suggestions?

The cursor for landscape will not render in the viewport while the Post Process Volume has Translucency set to Ray Tracing…be sure to switch it to raster while editing a landscape:

Post Process Volume → Rendering Features → Translucency → Type = Raster

2 Likes

Amazing. That’s been driving me nuts. Thanks so much for the fix.

Having the exact same issue; Paint and Sculpt don’t give the cursor on landscape and it’s the only landscape in the level. But unfortunately the above fix doesn’t seem to work or me…a very aggrevating issue as only last night it was working then closing and opening the project again seems ot have caused it? Any guidance greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

My landscape doesn’t even have this raster option under rendering. My brush doesn’t even show up like the first post and last response. I have restarted and nothing changes. It won’t let me sculpt at all.

The brushes are all greyed out for me, not highlighted blue like I see in people’s video of it working for them.

My logs are giving me this error

LogSlateStyle: Warning: Missing Resource from ‘CoreStyle’ Style: ‘Unable to find Brush ‘AssetThumbnail.Border’.’

How do I fix this?

Mine also shows a random small border box in one of the corners but doesn’t move or do anything in it, and if I increase brush size in the manage tab, it gets larger and orange, but also still doesn’t do anything else

I just tried reinstalling UE 5.2 and it still gives this error.

Update: I just installed 5.1 and it works fine, so it’s an issue with 5.2 somewhere, which is unfortunate because there is some plugins that are 5.2 only I was looking forward to =/

Well hell, on that note, I just re tried a new instance in 5.2 after testing 5.1 and now it works in 5.2 on a new project. But somehow not on the other project that was also new and not had anything done to it other than add two megascan items.

I’ve had the exact same issue, fairly certain it’s an engine bug introduced into 5.1. You can bypass it by opening another level/map, if you don’t have a second, make one. Open up that second map then go back and reopen the one that has the landscape that you want to paint height or textures onto. Opening and closing the engine/project won’t fix it but reloading the level you want to paint in manually while having the project open does force the brushes appear to allow painting. You will have to do this every time though so it’s not a fix, but a workaround. Again no idea why, but perhaps this will help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Merypol this is amazing. Exactly what I was looking for - thanks!!!

Hi. Only Reopen your map. double click on your map level. it be solved.