Download

Can't run Mac packages since 4.8

Update Sep 7th: I’m pleased to report that since 4.9.0 this problem is fixed.

Since upgrading to 4.8.0 I can’t run packaged Mac apps, even though the output log says the build completed successfully. I have used some of the sample projects as a comparison, e.g. the 2D side scroller blueprints project, FPS and flying (all blueprints). If I literally create a new project from any of the templates in 4.7.6 and package immediately without doing anything else I can run the packaged app without issue, but if I do the exact same thing in 4.8.0 nothing happens at all. No output, no errors.

I have run a Verify on the 4.8.0 installation but that doesn’t seem to have helped.

Happy to attach output logs or any other info needed.

I’m on OSX 10.10.3 (Yosemite). Late 2013 iMac 27".

Upgraded to 4.8.1 to see if that helped but no joy.

I’d really like to get to the bottom of this because I’m looking at potentially porting my game from Unity but if I can’t produce a working build that’s obviously a deal-breaker right out of the gate.

Something else I’ve tried this morning is uninstalling the engine and then reinstalling it, but that didn’t help either I’m afraid. This is really frustrating.

I don’t know if I had the same cause, but I couldn’t build my old project or a brand-new one on my mac with 4.8.x until I went to:

/Users/<username>/Library/Logs/Unreal Engine/LocalBuildLogs/

There were a ton of old log files which I deleted. My build was complaining that it couldn’t create Cook.999.txt in that directory. After that, I could build the app again.

The build succeeds according to the log, it’s just when trying to run the app nothing happens. I cleared out my LocalBuildLogs anyway FWIW but I’m afraid that didn’t help.

This is so disappointing, still broken in 4.8.2. Guess I’ll have to stick with Unity :frowning:

Hi Wayne Koorts,

Have you made a post on the answerhub for this? If not, please post to the answerhub in the bug reports section (link in signature) so we can better assist you.

Hi Adam,

I haven’t, but I will do now, thank you. Somehow I thought the forum was a more official support channel but I’ll keep the Answerhub in mind in future :slight_smile:

Regards,
Wayne