Can't paint more than 3 layers on landscape

I have my landscape material with 4 textures connected through Layer Blend node. When i try to paint fourth layer on the same tile, whole tile goes into default material:

I’ve tried with different materials, different landscape areas and nothing changed. Btw. “Max Painted Layers” in landscape Details is set to 0 so it’s not a problem. I use 4.6.1.
Why i can’t paint more than 3 layers?

PS. There can be 4 layers on entire landscape, but not in one tile. 4 layers on one tile = whole tile goes into default material.

Hey Slavq,

Would you mind showing me a screenshot of your material set up for your landscape?

Also, have a look at the Landscape Material Creation and Painting documentation. It is a great way to learn how to create landscape materials and apply them to your landscape.

Landscape Material Documentation

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/QuickStart/4/index.html

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Landscape/QuickStart/5/index.html

There are a few tricks and tips on how to troubleshoot some common issues as well. One suggestion I would have would be to change one of your ‘Layer Blends’ to an ‘Alpha Blend’ instead of the ‘Height Blend’. This can help break up the materials instructions to provide a bit more flexibility when painting.

Let me know if you are still having trouble or if you need some more help.

Cheers,

1 Like

Are there other fixes for this issue?

Hey Brooke17,

This was never determined as a bug as I did not receive any additional information in regards to their issue. From the looks of it, you might want to try selecting your Texture Samples within your landscape’s material and set the Sampler Source to Shared:Wrapped to see if that resolves your issue. What could be happening is you are hitting the limitations of Direct SM4 Shader model.

Let me know if you have further questions or need additional assistance.

Cheers,

4 Likes

I am having same issues here, this is really unnerving. In my case I cannot paint more than TWO layers/materials, and I have 5 of them wired for weight blending. Is there anyone on this earth who can provide answer to this?

Thanks for replying, so far, after a month using Ue4, I am really considering if its worth it, just stressing nothing more. Previous problems where overblown textures, png compatibility, engine crushing, landscape wont create, lagging on loading, and only now I managed to wire my materials and thought, oh, finally I am gonna finish my project, and in the end, I cannot even blend them. NEW ISSUE arises, now what should I do, waitin another two weaks to solve the problem which is kinda completely dubiose?

I stopped using Landscape at all (I’m modeling my terrains in 3d app now) so unfortunately I can’t provide any tips regarding this.

Sorry, I didn’t notice the answer before. I don’t even remeber the issue right now as I’m not using Landscape tool anymore, but I guess that it was not a bug, but probably improper landscape material setup.

Thanks Sir for this. Changing sampler source to shared:wrap is solving the issue for me. At least for now :smiley:

2 Likes

YES thank you , the numbers were bad

this did it for me, I’d been doing a tutorial and was using shared:wrap but i forgot later when adding new layers, so had a mix. It worked when originally creating the ‘wrong’ textures, but on re-opening the project it only then decided to care. Thanks!