Can't override default value in reusable widget

I’m in my first week in UE, using 5.4. I’m trying to create reusable widgets to build other reusable widgets on top of them, in my case:

• create a reusable text widget WB_Base_Text(text and font size are parameters)

• create a reusable button widget WB_Base_Button, it uses WB_Base_Text, therefore it has the same parameters.

When I create an instance of WB_Base_Button, I can’t override the default text it has, in other words, through the button I can’t override the text in WB_Base_Text it uses.

Judging by my debug console output, the default text value should be overridden, but it’s not. I took screenshots of the console output and widget structure.

What is even more strange, is when I create just an instance of WB_Base_Text, then I can change the text.

What do I miss?

Hi and welcome to the community. It looks like you actually don’t change the text field only a variable. Add this to your SetText function from the last screenshot:

Connect DefaultBaseText with InText. Good luck!

1 Like

Great thank you :hugs:, this indeed was the problem. Fortunately, figured myself out last evening by browsing what UE’s intellisense (aka “Context Sensitive” checkbox) and what functions it offers to use