Can't open UE5 demo - "The required library hostfxr.dll could not be found"

Hi all,
First, I got a message that the demo level couldn’t be opened with the current version of UE, so it made a copy…

However, I’m unable to open the copy, as it still wants to duplicate it, and I get this error:

Project files could not be generated. Log output:

Running E:/UE_4.23/UE_5.0EA/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=“F:/Unreal Engine Projects/UE5 Demo/ValleyoftheAncient 5.0 - 2/AncientGame.uproject” -game -rocket -progress
A fatal error occurred. The required library hostfxr.dll could not be found.
If this is a self-contained application, that library should exist in [E:\UE_4.23\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool].
If this is a framework-dependent application, install the runtime in the global location [C:\Program Files\dotnet] or use the DOTNET_ROOT environment variable to specify the runtime location or register the runtime location in [HKLM\SOFTWARE\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\InstallLocation].

The .NET Core runtime can be found at:

No idea how to fix this.

3 Likes

I get a similar error for my own project updating from UE4.26.1.

But I only have Visual Studio 2017 installed and I guess installing the “dotnet core” should fix it ( or it is automatically fixed if you install VS2019+ ).

Actually, when I installed UE5 it also installed the Visual Studio update. Hm…

It only installed the Engine and I noticed it installed Quixel Bridge.

When I create new first person blueprint project and hit the Play button it crashes:

Assertion failed: ClearValue.ColorBinding == EClearBinding::EColorBound [File:D:/build/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Windows/D3D11RHI/Private/D3D11Commands.cpp] [Line: 1129] Texture: MotionBlur.SceneColor does not have a color bound for fast clears

UnrealEditor_D3D11RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D11RHI
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Renderer
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_RenderCore
UnrealEditor_Core
UnrealEditor_Core
kernel32
ntdll

When I use the menu bar → Platforms → Quick Launch → Desktop Windows XYZ I get the following “Verifying the SDK and Device failed” error:

: Verifying SDK and Device (Windows): Running AutomationTool…
UATHelper: Verifying SDK and Device (Windows): A fatal error occurred. The required library hostfxr.dll could not be found.
UATHelper: Verifying SDK and Device (Windows): If this is a self-contained application, that library should exist in [C:\UnrealEngine\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\AutomationTool].
UATHelper: Verifying SDK and Device (Windows): If this is a framework-dependent application, install the runtime in the global location [C:\Program Files\dotnet] or use the DOTNET_ROOT environment variable to specify the runtime location or register the runtime location in [HKLM\SOFTWARE\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\InstallLocation].
UATHelper: Verifying SDK and Device (Windows): The .NET Core runtime can be found at:
UATHelper: Verifying SDK and Device (Windows): - .NET Downloads (Linux, macOS, and Windows)
UATHelper: Verifying SDK and Device (Windows): BUILD FAILED
LogSlate: Window ‘SDK Verification’ being destroyed
Took 0.000200 seconds to synchronously load lazily loaded font ‘…/…/…/Engine/Content/Editor/Slate/Fonts/FontAwesome.ttf’ (139K)

I had this same problem. The fix is to download and install DotNET 3.1 … the hosting bundle worked for me without an issue … Download .NET Core 3.1 (Linux, macOS, and Windows)

30 Likes

Thanks, will try it out.

This fixed the issue. Thanks

Installing dotnet 3.1 worked, thank you very much my good man.

Nope. I would not like to “rebuild” them. AGAIN.

missing-modules

Tried opening a small existing project. Stuck at 3,141 shaders & completely locked up my machine. There’s some notice in the lower right, but I can’t read it because it’s covered by the 70% off Unreal Marketplace ad.

Hard reset time.

I don’t know if I’m the only one experiencing this problem but I have been trying to download this for over an hour now …not working .
Can someone please upload the file somehow we can download
Thanks in Advance

Download hostfxr.dll https://cn.dll-files.com/hostfxr.dll.html and move it to floder UE_5.0EA\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool can help!

4 Likes

thanks your help,it’s worked

Thank you!

I can confirm I got this issue installing the recommended .net framework worked for me. It seems to be tied to C++ projects. I was able to use the engine without any issues until I created an empty C++ project. Not sure if that helps out any at all.

I’m not sure if this helps but there is some C# code in the Visual studio code (projectname).Target.cs, (projectname)Editor.Target.cs, ETC. So this is most likely the requirement for the .net framework.

I am also getting the error about missing hostfxr.dll. In my case, I already had started that project successfully some time ago. Now I wanted to revisit this and it fails.
So I believe, that Windows Updates might possibly be the culprit as well, because I did not change anything else…

Yep, about 2 days ago something got messed up, I didnt change anything either.

Must include .NET SDK in Visual Studio Installer modifiers

1 Like

This happened to me when i moved a project to another location. Installing Download .NET Core 3.1 Runtime fixed it.

3 Likes