Cant modify Notify Apex bool

I am trying to set an event that is triggered when the apex of a jump is reached, I have the OnReachedJumpApex set up to do this.

Unreal documentation is saying I need to enable Notify Apex for this to work, I can’t do anything to the Notify Apex variable under CharacterMovement. It’s greyed out.

This means I cannot get an event to trigger when the apex of a jump is reached, is there another way I should be doing this or is unreal just fricked up?

That bool can only be modified during runtime/gameplay. This is because, once enabled, the character (or character component) will automatically set it back to false once the jump apex is reached. In other words, it is intended to be set to true when a jump starts, which will cause the apex event to fire, which in turn sets that bool back again to false.

So instead of thinking of that bool as a general “config” variable, think of it instead as a modifier for the character’s current jump.

Thanks, so how would I set up an event to start when the apex of a jump is reached? My solution was to use the Bind event to OnReachedJumpApex node but this doesn’t fire when I reach the jump apex.

Would it be better to use a branch node to run an event when NotifyApex is true?

Here’s a very simple setup that works for me. You do have to bind to that OnReachedJumpApex event that you mentioned already. (I usually choose to bind events like this at BeginPlay, for many reasons.)

The Notify Apex bool is not something you’d want to read from — it’s there for you to set to true, and that’s it. Because it gets reset back to false every time the OnReachedJumpApex event fires, it’s up to you to decide which jumps (or other situations where the character becomes airborne) actually set Notify Apex to true, and consequently cause that event to fire.

I’ll try to explain another way if I’m still not making sense!

6 Likes