Can't link to imported Textures in Material Instance Editor

So I’ve opened the Material Instance Editor for a material I need to edit. I simply want to change the default Normal, Roughness and Base Color maps. I’ve also imported my new Textures by dragging them into my Content Browser.

But no matter what I do I cannot link to any of these imported textures! They do NOT come up in the Browse.Search Assets field.

Spent a couple hours googling. What am I doing wrong?

maybe they imported as Virtual Textures?
Even then they should be visible.

What file format are you importing? I use TARGA, but usually PNG/JPG work fine too. RAW from camera usually doesn’t but it was still visible in the content browser…

These are the materials from the Automotive materials pack.

Open the material and check what type of options are setup for the texture sample parameter.

Still don’t see why it wouldn’t take a texture you drag to it. But maybe share screenshots so what you are doing is more clear…

I’m just facing this problem!
Did you figure out?
My textures are from Evermotion, I used textures from same pack and they worked just fine, but these ones in particular aren’t working.

UE_SS_02

Had the same problem on my end. For me the problem was caused by the default material in the material master being set to a virtual texture. Setting the default material to the non virtual texture variant allowed me to select non virtual textures in the material instances.

Solution: In your texture file, there s a checkbox, “Virtual Texture Streaming”. If you are using virtual textures (UDMIs) sometimes the texture imported will not have this set. In a group of 8 for me, 2 did not have these set. Check the box and save the texture. It should now work.

TLDR; Delete and Replace.

I had this same problem as well. I edited the original .PNG and saved/imported it as .png (matters?). In the Material Instance, I was not able to replace the original with the newly edited version.

My solution was to copy the original as a ‘v2’, then delete the original and replace it with the new version.

I didn’t find what was causing the problem, I unchecked Virtual Texture Streaming but it didn’t work. I did “solve” it by just saving the textures with another name as @Doctor_Kannon mentioned and it worked.