Can't launch Unreal Engine 4.26.2 & 5: VCRUNTIME140.dll was not found

I first downloaded and installed UE5 which was able to launch, but I could not compile any code. This made me think I did a bad installation of Visual Studio 2019.

I reinstalled both visual studio 2019 and UE5. I then tried to launch UE5 and instead got an error:

“The code execution cannot proceed because VCRUNTIME140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.”

I think tried to install and launch Unreal Engine 4.26.2, which also gave me the same error.

I have tried reinstalling both Visual Studio 2019, Unreal Engine 4.26.2 and 5, as well as all of the C++ packages multiple times.

A friend told me to download the latest C++ distros and it worked.

1 Like

This error message is directly related to the DLL file, when the VCRUNTIME140.DLL file is misplaced or deleted from the Windows system and you will face this error message. This error indicates a problem

with the 2015 version of the Visual C++ Redistributable because there is a known conflict between the 2017 version and the 2015 version.

Please follow these steps:

Open Programs and Features form Control Panel

Uninstall the 2017 version of the C++ Redistributalbe, if that is installed on your System.

Then from the link below, download and install the 2015 version, then once that is installed, download and install the 2017 version.

Please Note, regardless of whether your version of Windows 10 is 32bit or 64bit, you must download and install both the x86 and x64 versions, do not try to install the ARM64 version.

DLL or Dynamic Link Libraries are external parts of applications and services that run on the Windows system. DLL files are the important part of any computer / laptop and we cannot imagine an operating

system without DLL files. A single DLL file can be shared by more than one application and services. That is why, when a dll file gets corrupted / deleted / moved from the system, all linked applications start

launching DLL errors. Sometimes, this error message also starts to appear after installing a Windows update or an incorrect installation of any program. This is for the reason that, in all the latest updates or

patches released by Microsoft, there may be a missing system file or dll file.

2 Likes

@Cowabunga_Knight answer helped me with a new PC. installing the x64 redist from the mentioned link solved the issue.