Can't find where escape key is bound

For some reason whenever I press the escape key my game closes, I have tried rebinding escape in both the project settings and the editor settings so its not either of them. It must be one of the blueprints that some kind of keybind is hidden in however I have looked through it all and unless there’s some well hidden parts of the editor I don’t know about there’s nothing there. If anyone can tell me where I could have possibly bound the escape key at or if you can tell me how to override the key I’d be very grateful.

Found out the problem might be caused by PlayerController however I have no clue how to edit that or get into wherever it is, any help would be appreciated.

Hey there, if you testing your game in the editor then its by design. Only if you play as standalone will you have the escape key not doing anything,

Nah that’s not it, even after packaging it and running it that way the escape key still closes the game.

Do you have any action mapping for Escape key? If not try to find for explicit Escape events.

I’m not sure honestly, I’ve checked through all the blueprints and can’t find anything to do with escape. I don’t know much about unreal, most of the stuff I’ve done was from watching tutorials so I don’t know what exactly to look for.

Create a new project and see if that happens. If it does then it’s some engine setting, if it doesn’t then it’s somethign specific to your project. Try setting the game mode to the most basic one.

It doesn’t do it on a new project. Changing the game mode doesn’t really do anything.

Ok so that means its something in your project. If you change the game mode on the project settings to game mode base and create a new level (make sure you are not overriding the game mode on the levle), do you still have the issue?

UE4 Tutorial - Create a Movable Player Character From Scratch - YouTube This Helped me to create my own pawn, in the Binding Menu you can Bind the Escape Button and also others…

It doesn’t seem to do it on a new level, oh I figured it out. Guess I never opened level blueprint before, wasn’t aware that was an option. Seems to work now, thanks.

Good to now :slight_smile:

To add further to this question. If you are finding it difficult to know exactly where some logic is taking place, you can always do a global search in blueprints. From main window click on Window → Find in Blueprints. Then search for whatever, in this case it would have been esc, and I guarantee you that it would have found it for you :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Thanks I’ll be sure to give that a go