Can't drop PNG image into HDRI Backdrop plugin

351585-unreal-backdrop-plugin.png

Hello!

When I drag the 1896x948 PNG image into the Unreal content browser it’s fine, but when I then drag it into the HDRI Backdrop plugin (Cube map section) it doesn’t go in or seem to be accepted. I already have a default Envirodome set in the HDRI Backdrop plugin Mesh section, I’ve tried other default meshes but the result is the same.
How do I get it to accept my image which I’m trying to use as HDRI Backdrop?

Could anyone help please? It would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:
I have access to Photoshop too.

R

The image needs to be in HDR format. You can’t just drop a texture in there :slight_smile:

Have you tried saving it explicitly in HDR format?

When you edit the texture, it should look like this:

It’s also a good idea to change the maximum texture size to at least 1024 ( also in pic ), so ‘no mipmaps’ ( further down in settings ).

Thanks for the quick reply @ClockworkOcean!

I tried saving the texture as a HDR in Unreal like you suggested and also the settings, but I am still unable to drag it in?
Any further thoughts?

Also, when I change the texture to HDR format, the color of the image suddenly changes and becomes a lot lighter. Any idea of how I keep it the same? or would I just adjust the Unreal settings on hue, exposure etc.

R

1 Like

Sorted now, thanks!

how did you sort this out, pls? I’ve run into the same issue and can’t seem to find a workaround?

One possible reason is that Unreal does not seem to accept uncompressed 32bit cubemaps.

I had this issue with hdri maps from polyhaven.com (linked to in the documentation as “HDRI Haven”), even with all the necessary settings.
It later did work when using the maps in .hdr format instead of .exr format.

Exr-files are 32bit and shown in the content brower as “Textures”.
Hdr-files are 16bit, widely more supported and shown in the content browser as “Texture Cube”, only these are accepted.

1 Like

Agree, open the exr in PS and saving it as .hdr worked