Can't compile development tutorial

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to complete the steps of this tutorial: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Programming/QuickStart/4/index.html - After installing the Engine with its Tournament Part, I’ve installed the Unreal Editor in Version 4.6.1 and even 4.7. After that, I read the beginner tutorial for developers (coming from a Java EE background for 5 1/2 years now and even 1 1/2 years of unity3D and blender…) and followed the steps: I’ve just added an actor (Unreal Editor V 4.6.1) as named as like in the tutorial, opened Visual Studio 2013 for Desktop (Express, and Community Edition) but I cant compile it. It looks like the documentation is outdated or the generated source now requires a different API… ?

Note:

• My workspace is located under: C:\Workspace\project - without spaces or special characters
  • I’m using Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit
  • 8GB RAM with 256 GB SSD, AMD Phenom II x4 945 CPU with 3GHz
  • I downloaded and installed the latest official builds of visual studio, unreal tournament, unreal editor and I even tried alternative versions.

Does someone have an Idea? I’d really love to use this engine finally!

Hello there!

I am unsure of your end goal, but it kind of sounds to me like you are mostly interested in getting started with C++ in UE4 in general.
I unfortunately cannot help you with your particular compilation problem unless you can provide some compilation errors and/or code to use as reference.

I can however recommend that you instead of following that tutorial simply try one of the template projects available in the engine, as those are always up to date and has a couple of files each so you can get a better idea of how a project is structured in the engine. I would still recommend reading Programming with C++ | Unreal Engine Documentation for general concepts etc in the engine, but maybe not for the code if it is giving you compilation problems :).

You can create one of these template projects by simply launching the editor, select new project and selecting one of the C++ template projects. If you are having trouble compiling the github editor source, or don’t want to, you can even download a binary distribution from the UE4 launcher and run it from there :slight_smile: With 4.7 you can even navigate into the engine source with the binary dist, so unless you want to fiddle with the engine source, this is a lot more practical anyways.

If you cannot compile one of the template projects however, then I suspect that your engine setup might have some specific problem, and I would recommend double checking all your prereqs such as the DX redist.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Temaran