Cannot upgrade project from 4.26 to 5

Hey, this is the error I got:

Project files could not be generated. Log output:

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_5.0EA/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=“Z:/Pangea Beyond Extinction/Repository/PangeaBeyondExtinction 5.0/ProjectPangea.uproject” -game -rocket -progress
It was not possible to find any compatible framework version
The framework ‘Microsoft.NETCore.App’, version ‘3.1.0’ was not found.

• The following frameworks were found:
    5.0.7 at [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App]

You can resolve the problem by installing the specified framework and/or SDK.

The specified framework can be found at:

Any ideas? I’m no programmer and really don’t understand what to do. It was supposed to be easy to upgrade but I know it’s beta, so I bring this in for you to notice.

Yes, I have installed latest .NET which is 5. So it only works with 3?

EDIT: after installing the one on the link it worked. BUT. and this is a huge BUT: I only got that direct link to download after first having to guess and install v5 of .NET, then the message changed and told me to install that particular one. This should be fixed,

I had a similar problem with upgrading from 4.27.2 to 5.0.

The first message when upgrading my project was like:

Running C:/Epic Games/UE_5.0/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.exe  -projectfiles -project="C:/Development/GitHubDesktop/FromHell 5.0/FromHell.uproject" -game -rocket -progress
A fatal error occurred. The required library hostfxr.dll could not be found.
If this is a self-contained application, that library should exist in [C:\Epic Games\UE_5.0\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool\].
If this is a framework-dependent application, install the runtime in the global location [C:\Program Files\dotnet] or use the DOTNET_ROOT environment variable to specify the runtime location or register the runtime location in [HKLM\SOFTWARE\dotnet\Setup\InstalledVersions\x64\InstallLocation].

The .NET Core runtime can be found at:
  - https://aka.ms/dotnet-core-applaunch?missing_runtime=true&arch=x64&rid=win10-x64

Opening the link: https://aka.ms/dotnet-core-applaunch
I think here it is important to choose the version that is compatible with your installed Visual Studio version. I choose .NET 5.0 because it has the same version number as Unreal 5. :wink:
And… it’s made for my installed Visual Studio 2019.

You need the Runtime.

Then I got the error you @Echu had as well.

Running C:/Epic Games/UE_5.0/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.exe  -projectfiles -project="C:/Development/GitHubDesktop/FromHell 5.0/FromHell.uproject" -game -rocket -progress
It was not possible to find any compatible framework version
The framework 'Microsoft.NETCore.App', version '3.1.0' was not found.
  - The following frameworks were found:
      5.0.15 at [C:\Program Files\dotnet\shared\Microsoft.NETCore.App]

You can resolve the problem by installing the specified framework and/or SDK.

The specified framework can be found at:
  - https://aka.ms/dotnet-core-applaunch?framework=Microsoft.NETCore.App&framework_version=3.1.0&arch=x64&rid=win10-x64

I opened the link and installed the “.NET Core CONSOLE Runtime”. Or is it the DESKTOP version that you also need to create Windows builds later ?

After a Windows 10 restart the project upgrade from Unreal 4.27.2 to 5.0 worked just fine.

On Windows 11 I also got this error:

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_5.0/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool/UnrealBuildTool.exe  -projectfiles -project="C:/Development/GitHubDesktop/FromHell_4.27 5.0/FromHell.uproject" -game -rocket -progress
Log file: C:\Users\Dev\AppData\Local\UnrealBuildTool\Log_GPF.txt

Some Platforms were skipped due to invalid SDK setup: IOS, Android, Linux, LinuxArm64.
See the log file for detailed information

Discovering modules, targets and source code for project...
ERROR: Could not find NetFxSDK install dir; this will prevent SwarmInterface from installing.  Install a version of .NET Framework SDK at 4.6.0 or higher.

To fix it you need to install .NET Framework SDK. You can do this by running Microsoft Visual Studio Installer, then on “Modify” next to the installed version of Visual Studio and switch tab to “Individual Components” and check the latest version of .NET Framework SDK.