Cannot open my project

I am with Linux and am using AMD Radeon 3 and Ryzen 3 but the thing is that UE4 doesn’t want to work …I get this error :

/UnrealEngine-4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanUtil.cpp] [Line: 803] VulkanRHI::vkDeviceWaitIdle(Device) failed, VkResult=-4 at /home/dolora/Downloads/UnrealEngine-4.26/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanDevice.cpp:1173 with error VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST 0x00007ff00665a71f libUE4Editor-

That means the driver is crashing or sortieing wrong with GPU

Do you get this error when the project is running and it crashes after a bit or does it just not open? There has been a major rework in terms of the RHI in 4.26, most of it having to do with the memory defrag. This has been enabled by default, but causes several Device Lost crashes.

Apart from making sure your drivers and everything is up to date you can try disabling that defrag in your config file. In your DefaultEngine.ini or Engine.ini you can add the following.

[SystemSettings]
r..EnableDefrag=0

It might and might not help (please note that without this the engine requires quite a bit of vram).

It does prevent crashes, but the performance drops with time and ue4 is quickly becoming almost unusable

Yeah this is something that is being actively worked on and hopefully will be fully solved in 4.26.2.

I am running UE4.26.2 on Linux (Ubuntu20.04) with Nvidia T4 (460.91.03 – and I’ve tried many other drivers) and (apiVersion 1.2.155 – I have tried different NV drivers with newer and it makes no difference). I have a new scene (that I cannot share) that crashes every time I try to open it (it opens on windows and it opens on windows with the - flag – also UE4.26.2). I have added those lines to my DefaultEngine.ini and it makes no difference from what I can tell. Other scenes open just fine. I do not think this is fixed in 4.26.2. I am giving the prior log line since it would seem to indicate that a memory manipulation happened just before this failure. Any suggestions/ideas?

[2021.08.13-18.52.09:950][ 0]LogRenderer: Reallocating scene render targets to support 1568x916 Format 10 NumSamples 1 (Frame:1).
[2021.08.13-18.52.10:337][ 0]LogVulkanRHI: Error: VulkanRHI::vkDeviceWaitIdle(Device) failed, VkResult=-4
at /mnt/fsx/persistent/prod/dev/UnrealEngineMain/UnrealEngine/Engine/Source/Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanDevice.cpp:1173
with error VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST

I am using UE5.0.3 (the official downloaded package) on Linux (Kali, mesa–drivers/kali-rolling,now 22.2.0~rc1-1 amd64), i9-9880H without separated GPU. The problem is same for me: I can open UE5Editor to create new projects, but the editor crashes once I open a project. I know this is not a suitable development for UE; I just hope to have a Linux test environment.
Here is my log:

Fatal error: [File:./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanUtil.cpp] [Line: 965] VulkanRHI::vkDeviceWaitIdle(Device) failed, VkResult=-4 at ./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanDevice.cpp:1546 with error VK_ERROR_DEVICE_LOST 0x00007efdf25fe18f libUnrealEditor-VulkanRHI.so!auto VulkanRHI::VerifyVulkanResult(VkResult, char const*, char const*, unsigned int)::$_234::operator()<FLogCategoryLogVulkanRHI, char16_t [49], char16_t*, int, char16_t*, unsigned int, char16_t const*>(FLogCategoryLogVulkanRHI const&, char16_t const (&) [49], char16_t* const&, int const&, char16_t* const&, unsigned int const&, char16_t const* const&) const [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanUtil.cpp:964] 0x00007efdf25d6aff libUnrealEditor-VulkanRHI.so!VulkanRHI::VerifyVulkanResult(VkResult, char const*, char const*, unsigned int) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanUtil.cpp:964] 0x00007efdf252a532 libUnrealEditor-VulkanRHI.so!FVulkanDevice::WaitUntilIdle() [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanDevice.cpp:1546] 0x00007efdf25e45c7 libUnrealEditor-VulkanRHI.so!FVulkanSwapChain::Destroy(FVulkanSwapChainRecreateInfo*) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanSwapChain.cpp:598] 0x00007efdf2624a12 libUnrealEditor-VulkanRHI.so!FVulkanViewport::~FVulkanViewport() [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanViewport.cpp:163] 0x00007efdf2624d19 libUnrealEditor-VulkanRHI.so!FVulkanViewport::~FVulkanViewport() [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanViewport.cpp:141] 0x00007efed316a4f6 libUnrealEditor-RHI.so!TRHILambdaCommand<FRHICommandListImmediate, FRHIResource::FlushPendingDeletes(FRHICommandListImmediate&)::$_87>::ExecuteAndDestruct(FRHICommandListBase&, FRHICommandListDebugContext&) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/RHI/Public/RHICommandList.h:787] 0x00007efed3133850 libUnrealEditor-RHI.so!FRHICommandListExecutor::ExecuteInner_DoExecute(FRHICommandListBase&) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/RHI/Private/RHICommandList.cpp:503] 0x00007efed31cdaeb libUnrealEditor-RHI.so!FExecuteRHIThreadTask::DoTask(ENamedThreads::Type, TRefCountPtr const&) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/RHI/Private/RHICommandList.cpp:559] 0x00007efed31cd0af libUnrealEditor-RHI.so!TGraphTask::ExecuteTask(TArray<FBaseGraphTask*, TSizedDefaultAllocator<32> >&, ENamedThreads::Type, bool) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Public/Async/TaskGraphInterfaces.h:975] 0x00007efed9a8d818 libUnrealEditor-Core.so!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread(int, bool) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/Core/Private/Async/TaskGraph.cpp:753] 0x00007efed9a8bae0 libUnrealEditor-Core.so!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit(int) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/Core/Private/Async/TaskGraph.cpp:641] 0x00007efed9a8a6f3 libUnrealEditor-Core.so!FTaskGraphCompatibilityImplementation::ProcessThreadUntilRequestReturn(ENamedThreads::Type) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/Core/Private/Async/TaskGraph.cpp:2114] 0x00007efed34959d2 libUnrealEditor-RenderCore.so!FRHIThread::Run() [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/RenderCore/Private/RenderingThread.cpp:324] 0x00007efed9bfdd27 libUnrealEditor-Core.so!FRunnableThreadPThread::Run() [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/Core/Private/HAL/PThreadRunnableThread.cpp:25] 0x00007efed9b5bf83 libUnrealEditor-Core.so!FRunnableThreadPThread::_ThreadProc(void*) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/HAL/PThreadRunnableThread.h:185] 0x00007efeda7bcd80 libpthread.so.0!UnknownFunction(0x7d7f) 0x00007efecef39baf libc.so.6!clone(+0x3e)

libUnrealEditor-VulkanRHI.so!VulkanRHI::VerifyVulkanResult(VkResult, char const*, char const*, unsigned int) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanUtil.cpp:964]
libUnrealEditor-VulkanRHI.so!FVulkanDevice::WaitUntilIdle() [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanDevice.cpp:1546]
libUnrealEditor-VulkanRHI.so!FVulkanSwapChain::Destroy(FVulkanSwapChainRecreateInfo*) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanSwapChain.cpp:598]
libUnrealEditor-VulkanRHI.so!FVulkanViewport::~FVulkanViewport() [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanViewport.cpp:163]
libUnrealEditor-VulkanRHI.so!FVulkanViewport::~FVulkanViewport() [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/VulkanRHI/Private/VulkanViewport.cpp:141]
libUnrealEditor-RHI.so!TRHILambdaCommand<FRHICommandListImmediate, FRHIResource::FlushPendingDeletes(FRHICommandListImmediate&)::$_87>::ExecuteAndDestruct(FRHICommandListBase&, FRHICommandListDebugContext&) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/RHI/Public/RHICommandList.h:787]
libUnrealEditor-RHI.so!FRHICommandListExecutor::ExecuteInner_DoExecute(FRHICommandListBase&) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/RHI/Private/RHICommandList.cpp:503]
libUnrealEditor-RHI.so!FExecuteRHIThreadTask::DoTask(ENamedThreads::Type, TRefCountPtr const&) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/RHI/Private/RHICommandList.cpp:559]
libUnrealEditor-RHI.so!TGraphTask::ExecuteTask(TArray<FBaseGraphTask*, TSizedDefaultAllocator<32> >&, ENamedThreads::Type, bool) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Public/Async/TaskGraphInterfaces.h:975]
libUnrealEditor-Core.so!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksNamedThread(int, bool) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/Core/Private/Async/TaskGraph.cpp:753]
libUnrealEditor-Core.so!FNamedTaskThread::ProcessTasksUntilQuit(int) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/Core/Private/Async/TaskGraph.cpp:641]
libUnrealEditor-Core.so!FTaskGraphCompatibilityImplementation::ProcessThreadUntilRequestReturn(ENamedThreads::Type) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/Core/Private/Async/TaskGraph.cpp:2114]
libUnrealEditor-RenderCore.so!FRHIThread::Run() [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/RenderCore/Private/RenderingThread.cpp:324]
libUnrealEditor-Core.so!FRunnableThreadPThread::Run() [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/./Runtime/Core/Private/HAL/PThreadRunnableThread.cpp:25]
libUnrealEditor-Core.so!FRunnableThreadPThread::_ThreadProc(void*) [/mnt/horde/++UE5/Sync/Engine/Source/Runtime/Core/Private/HAL/PThreadRunnableThread.h:185]
libpthread.so.0!UnknownFunction(0x7d7f)
libc.so.6!clone(+0x3e)

r..EnableDefrag=0 does not work in my case.
By the way, UE on Linux is still comparatively slower than on Windows, although I see some discussions about the slowness already exist since 2016.