Cannot open include file 'windows.h'

[=;1310]
Still no one ? Am I really the only one that can’t get a single project building after trying for 24 hours ?
[/]

Try this. Build errors. windows.h etc. [SOLVED] - C++ - Epic Developer Community Forums

I still haven’t been able to update my engine to the public version, yet. When i do and your still having trouble ill be happy to answer the question in more detail on the answerhub

This does work for building the project, yes. Thanks !

How is this going to work out when adding new classes ? Won’t the project file be regenerated ?

As predicted, adding a new class erases all settings for the project. The “inherit” fix works very well but requires the operation every time code is added.

FIX for the bug : just don’t have special chars in your Windows account name. Like ?. Because that will prevent Unreal Engine from compiling C++ code. Because why not.

The delicious irony is that obviously the Unreal forums don’t support special chars either, since the above character was replaced by “?”. Come on Epic Games, we have fantastic names here in France, we need those special chars :wink:

[=;2043]
FIX for the bug : just don’t have special chars in your Windows account name. Like ?. Because that will prevent Unreal Engine from compiling C++ code. Because why not.

The delicious irony is that obviously the Unreal forums don’t support special chars either, since the above character was replaced by “?”. Come on Epic Games, we have fantastic names here in France, we need those special chars :wink:
[/]

Had the exact same problems the whole day, thanks for sharing! (swedish characters… )

Really great you guys got it working. If you posted a answer-hub question and it’s still open you can(should) reply with an answer and flag it correct :wink:

That way others can search and find the answer :smiley:

EDIT -

I see that you did that 9 hours ago ! <3

[=;2043]

[/]

How do you fix the problem exactly because my name and account name have an É and i cannot compile project

Sorry for opening this up again, but I’m having the exact same problem, except my username in windows consists of only standard letters. I reinstalled both vs2013 and unreal multiple times, have upgraded to vs2013 ultimate, still nothing. Whenever I try to run the example code for 3rd person, this is the error:

1>------ Build started: Project: MyProject, Configuration: DebugGame_Editor x64 ------
1> Performing 8 actions (max 4 parallel jobs)
1> [2/8] rc.exe ModuleVersionResource.rc.inl
1> [3/8] rc.exe MyProject.rc
1> PCH.MyProject.MyProject.h.cpp
1>C:\Users\juggle\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject\Source\MyProject\Resources\Windows\MyProject.rc(11): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file ‘windows.h’.
1>
1>D:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Resources\Windows\ModuleVersionResource.rc.inl(3): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file ‘windows.h’.
1>
1>D:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Public\HAL\PlatformIncludes.h(8): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘new’: No such file or directory
1> -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
1>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\Users\juggle\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor-MyProject-Win64-DebugGame.dll
1> Cumulative action seconds (4 processors): 0,00 building projects, 0,31 compiling, 0,00 creating app bundles, 0,00 generating debug info, 0,00 linking, 0,00 other
1> UBT execution time: 3,46 seconds
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(38,5): error MSB3073: The command ““D:\Program Files (x86)\Unreal Engine\4.4\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat” MyProjectEditor Win64 DebugGame “C:\Users\juggle\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject\MyProject.uproject” -rocket” exited with code -1.
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

My vs2013 is installed to C, but unreal is on my D drive. I have no other way of doing this, can someone please help me out with this!? It seems like I just need to redirect some path…

thx

In visual go to project properties - > vc++ directiories and set include and library , library winrt, reference too i think directories to inherit from parent.

FIXED. I cannot believe it.
Set those 4 to “inherit” and it worked instantly.
Thank you.

Hello, I’ve been running into the same issues, and all the previous solutions don’t seem to work for me.

My windows name is all standard characters,
My project properties are inherit from parents…

Yet, I’m still returning build errors related to missing windows.h files…

[]
1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: UnrealBuildTool, Configuration: Development Any CPU ------
1> UnrealBuildTool -> C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE4-k4W-Plugin\UE4-K4w-Plugin\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe
2>------ Rebuild All started: Project: UE4, Configuration: Development_Editor x64 ------
2> Cleaning UE4Editor Binaries…
2> Building UnrealHeaderTool…
2> Performing 30 actions (max 4 parallel jobs)
2> [4/30] rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
2> [3/30] rc.exe ModuleVersionResource.rc.inl
2> PCH.Shared.Core.h.cpp
2> PCH.Core.Core.h.cpp
2>C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE4-k4W-Plugin\UE4-K4w-Plugin\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Resources\Windows\ModuleVersionResource.rc.inl(3): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file ‘windows.h’.
2>C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE4-k4W-Plugin\UE4-K4w-Plugin\Engine\Source\Runtime/Launch/Resources/Windows/PCLaunch.rc(13): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file ‘windows.h’.
2>c:\program files\epic games\ue4-k4w-plugin\ue4-k4w-plugin\engine\source\runtime\core\public\Windows/MinWindows.h(66): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘windows.h’: No such file or directory
2>c:\program files\epic games\ue4-k4w-plugin\ue4-k4w-plugin\engine\source\runtime\core\public\Windows/MinWindows.h(66): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘windows.h’: No such file or directory
2> [6/30] rc.exe ModuleVersionResource.rc.inl
2> [7/30] rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
2> Module.CoreUObject.1_of_4.cpp
2> PCH.Shared.CoreUObject.h.cpp
2>C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE4-k4W-Plugin\UE4-K4w-Plugin\Engine\Source\Runtime\Core\Resources\Windows\ModuleVersionResource.rc.inl(3): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file ‘windows.h’.
2>C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE4-k4W-Plugin\UE4-K4w-Plugin\Engine\Source\Runtime/Launch/Resources/Windows/PCLaunch.rc(13): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file ‘windows.h’.
2> [12/30] rc.exe ModuleVersionResource.rc.inl
2> Module.CoreUObject.3_of_4.cpp
2> Module.CoreUObject.4_of_4.cpp
2> Module.CoreUObject.2_of_4.cpp
2> [13/30] rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
2> [14/30] rc.exe ModuleVersionResource.rc.inl
2> [15/30] rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
2> [16/30] rc.exe PCLaunch.rc
2>C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE4-k4W-Plugin\UE4-K4w-Plugin\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealHeaderTool\Resources\PCLaunch.rc(3): fatal error RC1015: cannot open include file ‘windows.h’.
2> -------- End Detailed Actions Stats -----------------------------------------------------------
2>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE4-k4W-Plugin\UE4-K4w-Plugin\Engine\Binaries\Win64\UnrealHeaderTool-Core.dll
2> Cumulative action seconds (8 processors): 0.00 building projects, 1.97 compiling, 0.00 creating app bundles, 0.00 generating debug info, 0.00 linking, 0.00 other
2> UBT execution time: 3.08 seconds
2> UnrealHeaderTool failed for target ‘UE4Editor’ (platform: Win64, module info: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE4-k4W-Plugin\UE4-K4w-Plugin\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest).
2>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V120\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(43,5): error MSB3073: The command “…..\Build\BatchFiles\Rebuild.bat UE4Editor Win64 Development” exited with code 2.
========== Rebuild All: 1 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
[/]

I’m new to Visual so I’m sure it’s user related. :wink:

I installed the Sdk, but as I understand it, VS2013 installs the SDK already… ( not that I could locate the windows.h file itself )
I have the the DX (June 2010) runtime, I have .NET4, etc.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
thank you in advance!

You might have another rc.exe in your path that isn’t related to, or another version of, the resource compiler?

Open cmd.exe and type ‘where rc.exe’.

If it shows nothing or something like “C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\8.1\bin\x64\rc.exe” that wouldn’t be the issue. But if it is showing another tool try remove its directory from the path.

Thanks @

Yeah, cmd.exe returns: INFO: Could not find files for the given patterns(s).

Post what your PATH and VS110COMNTOOLS or VS120COMNTOOLS are. (Settings->System->advanced system settings->Environment variables) (there may be some error, I don’t have windows in english)

[=Cube2222;173501]
Post what your PATH and VS110COMNTOOLS or VS120COMNTOOLS are. (Settings->System->advanced system settings->Environment variables) (there may be some error, I don’t have windows in english)
[/]

Certainly! Thank you for your reply!

VS120COMNTOOLS :: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual 12.0\Common7\Tools\

And the PATH variable?

Oh ****, sorry @Cube2222

Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files (x86)\Autodesk\Backburner;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files\PrimeSense\NITE\bin64;;C:\Program Files (x86)\PrimeSense\NITE\bin;C:\Program Files\OpenNI\Bin64;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem;%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;D:\Dev\Windows81SDK\Windows Performance Toolkit;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\TypeScript\1.0;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Softimage;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softimage

What do you think?

I just ran a simple “hello world” attempt, to verify the environment was set up… and it couldn’t even compile that.

So, basically, right-out-of the box, and the defaults don’t swing it for me…

How can I straighten out the environment, so I’m assured I’m set? ( again, sorry for the windows/VS newb question )
Thanks for your time.