Cannot move end of physics chain with Add Force without getting stuck

Hi, I’m making a game about a worm. The worm is made out of a chain of Physics-Constraint connected spheres. These spheres do not collide with each other as they partially overlap (to resolve collisions correctly).
One of the mechanics allows the worm to stretch, I do this by freezing one end in place and moving the other with Add Force.

This works most of the time, however when I move the tail of the worm close to the head (or vice versa), the movement feels like it gets stuck on the ground or something (see video around 5 secs).

This does NOT happen if I stay away from the head. The collisions between the nodes are set to ignore, so there should not be any interaction. All of the nodes have their friction set to 0 and MIN combine. The physics constraints have movement set to locked but rotation set to free, so those shouldn’t be the culprit either.

Funnily enough, when I enable collisions between the main nodes (gray in the video), it somewhat fixes itself, however I would really like to keep those off because of the rest of the gameplay.

Is this some bug or am I doing something wrong?