"Cannot Modify Built-In Engine Asset" Modeling Tool Error

Updated UE5 from 5.0.2 to 5.0.3, and the issue still occurs. Cutting/editing other grouped static and skeletal meshes work fine though, which is a bit bizarre since the Cube is the simplest static mesh there is. Any ideas?

unknown_2022.07.25-19.57

Did you try it with a cube you made in modelling mode? ( rather than what looks like the engine cube )

4 Likes

Turns out that was the issue. The cube from the Engine content itself cannot be desecrated.

unknown_2022.07.26-07.29

1 Like

It’s sacred…

2 Likes

Same error here. But even using a cube in modeling mode it doesn’t work.
I did solve it creating another project from zero. Fortunately all things I had were pure experimental.

1 Like

Just curios. It won’t bend 3d text either. any suggestions?

I haven’t done curved 3D text, or seen tutorial on how to do it, but I might have an idea. Does it display a “CANNOT MODIFY BUILT-IN ENGINE ASSET” error?

If so, the way I solved this issue as @ClockworkOcean suggested is to not modify items directly from the Engine content folder (Fixed it using shapes from Modeling mode).

If that’s not the issue, you should start a new topic with more details about your issue as it is a bit out of this topic’s scope (Is it part of UE5 or a separate addon/Plugin? Does it show a pop-up error, if so what does it say? etc. etc.).

Sorry if I couldn’t help further. Best of luck on your troubleshooting.

1 Like

thank you so much. I’m gonna tinker away at it. I’ll reply once I find a way! p.s on a brighter note I trouble shot another problem after a few days so I’m riding that victory for now lol

That worked, But when I try to dublicate that same cube and I cut it, it cuts all of the copied ones as well

That’s because they’re all copies of the same mesh.

If you want a cut cube, you can only place it in the scene once. Then you have to place normal cubes for all the others :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I solved it by using: TRANSFORM → CONVERT. After that i was able to use DEFORM etc…

4 Likes

is there a special menu for TRANSFORM → CONVERT?

MODELING MODE- TAB TRANSFORM - CONVERT (TRANSFORM located between deform and mesh ops

2 Likes

THANKS!!!

Sorry i missed the question… i guess u already know:

Modeling Mode → Transform → Convert

1 Like