Cannot Install, Installation Corrupt

I apologize if this isn’t the correct place to post but I’ve been trying for the last 3 days to get the installation running.

I’ve searched and browsed through numerous threads trying to get my installation finalized. It seems to download all the way but towards the end goes through verification. Verification can take an hour or even much longer and usually when it finishes I get the Installation couldn’t finish, corrupt files or something along those lines.

Now I’ve tried many fixes, the first I read was adding a new file but upon looking, it seemed that the file was already there. It was the one that begun with $.

I’ve tried 3 different directories, every drive I have other than my primary drive (it’s an SSD, so space is too limited for the installation).

I’ve also uninstalled Epic Launcher, removed every file that it’s downloaded and ran CC Cleaner. I’ve verified that I was logged into Epic Launcher… it’s no different.

If I’m missing anything necessary to help troubleshoot, I’ll be happy to include whatever necessary. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi tenfootgiant,

Try the suggestions in this section of the troubleshooting guide.

If nothing fixes the issue, follow the steps towards the bottom of that link to generate your Debug Logs. Post them here, along with your Dxdiag (system specs).

None of it seemed to work. I’m hoping I put the correct log in. I know it said to do it by date, but I had to leave the download running while I was at work.

Hello tenfootgiant! Unfortunately it looks like that log in the zip is not the one which we’d need. Could you please just zip the whole log folder where you found it, and attach that instead? It will also help in case some previous errors are causing issues. Thanks!

Absolutely, the only thing that’s strange is there is a log file that’s over 600 MB… so I can’t add that one. I have no idea why a text file would be that large, so I’m going to have to skip it since the site has a size cap.

If these aren’t correct, I’m just going to clear all my logs and redo it. I apologize if this is at all inconvenient for you.

Hi tenfootgiant, I’ve been looking through your logs, and it seems that each time the installation completes, and goes into the verification stage, it is seeing that some files in the install directory are corrupt. Each time it restarts to fix just these files, it seems to find different files that were corrupt.

I have seen this kind of issue a handful of times now, and we’ve had varying degrees of success with it. Some users found that third party anti-malware software was the cause, and others just simply worked one time.

What is it you currently see in the Launcher. Is it a 4.7 engine slot with “Resume” on it? And doing that goes through verify, then restarts, downloads a bit of data, then verifies again, and loops this about 5 times before giving the error message?

Hi tenfootgiant,

We haven’t heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please try the suggestion that Swifty mentioned above. Then post back here with the requested info.

Cheers,

TJ

I’m sorry, but I have posted since, and my messages sat for 5 or 6 days without response. I deleted them and have kinda given up, since I haven’t had any more help since then. It refuses to work, and I have no clue what to do. It’s stuck in a verification loop and it will not finish without going corrupt. It’s the 4.7, shows resume. I got it to finish the install but it crashes, doesn’t work correctly, and textures as well as assets are missing. It’s corrupt, and even when I reverify I get the corruption error every time.

You could also try Process Monitor which I really like, it might show something helpful.

You can grab that here:-

When you run the exe, use Ctrl+L to add a filter. Use ‘Image path’ ‘begins with’ and then the root install path, where the engine directory would be added. Here’s an example using what I see in your logs:-

48450-capture.png

When you click Add, then Apply, you should see the main window no longer shows any events. Keep this running and start up the launcher, and begin an install of the editor.

You could also use the menu bar buttons to only show file activity like so:

48471-capture2.png

The auto scroll button will then probably help a lot, you’ll see all of the file access operations scrolling in whilst the installer is running.

48472-capture3.png

I’m unsure what it might look like if there are problems but I hope it will be obvious. If not, when the installer in the Launcher gives the error, you could close the launcher and try to save the list from process monitor, to see if it is not too big to share with us, along with your logs folder too, and I can try to match up the logged file errors with the operations captured in process monitor to see if that sheds any light?

I suspect that capturing a full install would be masses of data (mine started to really struggle with a full install), so it might be better, once process monitor is setup and watching, clear the list using the button to right of auto scroll, then use the repair/resume button in the already running launcher.

If it’s still far too much data you could try adjust the filter you added to be a much more specific folder inside the editor so that we potentially only capture events for files that are causing problems.

Sorry tenfootgiant, I had seen your other messages and got the impression that you had sorted it out and managed to complete an install, and that it was due to faulty hardware rather than the Launcher because similar things were happening in other programs too.

Have you tried any programs designed to test your RAM or HDD for IO errors?

Thank you for the advice, I’ll give this an attempt.

Every time I test my SSD or do RAM checks (multiple passes) I find no errors.

I honestly believe it is on my end, though at the moment I have no way to prove it right now.

My friend made a good point to me just recently though. The PSU I have for my modem isn’t the one that came with the modem. The voltage and amperage ratings are sufficient, though I firmly believe that even though the connection is not visibly intermittent, if I so much as touch the connector going into the modem it shuts off and back on. It’s very well possible that it’s not receiving proper power for that reason which is only visible during large file downloads. My best option is to wait until I can either get the correct PSU, or get a new modem. Money is tight, so it may be a while before I can troubleshoot that theory. Lately the files I’ve been downloading have had zero corruption, though, and it still hasn’t allowed me to download and install UDK without giving me the issue. I’m going to try a firmware update for my SSD but I have a hard time believing that’s the issue because I think by now my Windows files and other files would be going corrupt.

I’m really not sure at this point, but I’ll keep troubleshooting because I honestly enjoy doing it. It’s frustrating, yeah, but it’s always cool learning something new.

I’m okay with keeping this as resolved and I will absolutely post back if it turns out to be on my end or not, even if I have to buy a new SSD. I just want to lastly point out that I did get it to install but lots of files are corrupt and it crashes. It works, yes, but a lot of effects aren’t displaying properly and who knows what else isn’t what it should be and/or missing.

I would probably rule out the modem PSU issue. You’d be having problems all over with the internet generally, and downloading files; this is a problem with the data on your drive.

However I would recommend making sure the DC output voltage rating on the PSU matches the voltage exactly expected by the modem. The polarity is also important, but I’m assuming you have that right already otherwise the modem would not function at all (there’s usually a symbol showing polarity). As long as the amps output rating on the PSU is at least what the modem requires, then that’s fine. That’s not related to this issue at all IMO though, just a good idea to reduce chance of damage to your modem :).

I took another browse of your dxdiag. My gatherings are that you have an SSD as your D: drive, which is your boot drive and where windows is installed. You have three other drives listed, C:, E: and F:, which appear to be regular sata HDDs (I think E and F are two partitions on one disk). Anyhow, C: is the one the Launcher (and therefore Editor) are installed to, so any HDD tests that you run will need to be on that C: drive, not the SSD. The SSD appears to be un-involved with the installation your are attempting so definitely don’t replace that :wink:

Seeing as you do have an SSD though, which just about enough space left maybe for the Launcher, you could try to install the Launcher there instead to see if that fixes the issue… If it does I’d guess it’s your C: drive which is on the blink, the 500gb Western Digital Green (WD5000AZRX).

The culprit is bad ram. I ran another memory test, and this time a 1/4 way through the first pass it generated over 5000 errors. I’m not sure why it didn’t show at first, but I ripped out the second stick during troubleshooting and it fully downloaded, verified 100% and it is working flawlessly.

I appreciate all the help! Hope this may help others as well.

Can you tell me how you managed to eventually fix the issue? My english is kinda bad so i don’t understand these comments that much