Cannot get the simplest C++ project to work on macOS

I have just started with Unreal Engine, but I have reasonable C++ programming experience on MacOS. All the tutorials on the Unreal Engine site assume Windows, but I am using a Mac (2017 iMac). I started a new game, third person, with C++ and the starter content. It created the game and fired up Xcode. Before I did anything at all, I compiled the project in Xcode. I got a large number of errors of the form:

Running bundled mono, version: Mono JIT compiler version 5.16.0.220 (2018-06/bb3ae37d71a Fri Nov 16 17:12:11 EST 2018)
Platform/Mac/MacExports.cs(8,7): error CS0246: The type or namespace name 'Tools' could not be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

This happened both with the latest Xcode (12.3) and Xcode version 11.1. I followed a suggestion on GitHub - botman99/ue4-xcode-vscode-mac: Guide on creating UE4 C++ project on Mac that I should use the version of Xcode referred to in the release notes for UE 4.26 - that version is 11.1. For 11.1, after I had installed it I checked the version of the command-line tools by typing xcodebuild -version in a terminal. It returned: Xcode 11.1 Build version 11A1027.

My operating system is macOS Catalina 10.15.7 (so it isn’t a Big Sur issue).

I can create Blueprint games without problem.

What am I missing? Or does Unreal actually not support creating games using C++ on the Mac? If it does, where is the documentation?

I also have same issue , i’m guessing its something related to 4.26?

Thank you, paypaytr !

I downloaded UE 4.25.4 and was able to follow the steps in GitHub - botman99/ue4-xcode-vscode-mac: Guide on creating UE4 C++ project on Mac to create a game, edit the C++ code in Xcode and run the result. And this was with Xcode 12.3 - I didn’t need to use Xcode 11.1, at least to get this far.

Xcode did show me a substantial number of run-time errors of the form

[NSWindow contentView] must be used from main thread only

all under the heading “UI API called from background thread”, but these didn’t stop the modified version from running.

So it is an issue with UE 4.26.