Cannot create c++ project or c++ class

as already mentioned I’m using Unreal Engine 4 (v4.15.1).
Now, when i want to create a new c++ project (Basic Code) it begins to generate code but fails to compile it. I’m using Visual Studio 2017 which is supported (ue4 staff confirmed that).

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.15/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe Test Development Win64 -project="D:/Projects/UnrealProjects/Test/Test.uproject" -editorrecompile -progress -NoHotReloadFromIDE
ERROR: System.NotSupportedException: Das angegebene Pfadformat wird nicht unterst?tzt. //translates into 'the given path format is not supported'
bei System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.EmulateFileIOPermissionChecks(String fullPath)
bei System.Security.Permissions.FileIOPermission.QuickDemand(FileIOPermissionAccess access, String fullPath, Boolean checkForDuplicates, Boolean needFullPath)
bei System.IO.FileInfo.Init(String fileName, Boolean checkHost)
bei UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.LoadUBTMakefile(FileReference MakefilePath, FileReference ProjectFile, String& ReasonNotLoaded)
bei UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.RunUBT(String[] Arguments, FileReference ProjectFile)

Now when I click on ‘Open in Visual Studio’ it just opens visual studio and imports the ue4 libarys but doesn’t do anything else.

When I tried to build a new c++ project again, it works without problems (vs just asks whether it should upgrade the project to 2017 or not).

I installed the c++ 2015 toolchain, IncrediBuild, and the Windown 8.1 SDK.

When I create a new blueprint project and add a c++ class there, it also fails to compile.

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.15/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe  -projectfiles -project="D:/Projects/UnrealProjects/Test/Test.uproject" -game -rocket -progress
(...)
LogVSAccessor:Warning: Couldn't access Visual Studio
Recompiling Test...
Launching UnrealBuildTool... [C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.15/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe Test -Module Test Win64 Development -editorrecompile -canskiplink "D:/Projects/UnrealProjects/Test/Test.uproject"
(...) 
ERROR: Couldn't find target rules file for target '-canskiplink' in rules assembly 'UE4Rules, Version=0.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
Location: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.15\Engine\Intermediate\Build\BuildRules\UE4Rules.dll]

Thank you in advance!

I am having this same issue as well in 4.15.2.

I was having this same issue in 4.15.2 with Visual Studio 2017 (After using 2015 for a while). My problem was fixed by setting Visual Studio 2017 to be the default program to open *.sln files. After that I had to problems compiling projects. Hope this helps…

Cheers!

I did it too but doesn’t work

I know it’s late, but you are not allowed to name your Project “Test”. UBT messes something up and can’t compile it.