Cannot create a new project

So, I’ve been working with Unreal for a few months on my newish laptop, but I was always making a blueprint project. I’m a college student, and my class has us working with C++ this term, but when I try to create a C++ project, I get the error at the bottom of this post. I tried to decipher it, but the only thing I was able to pick out is needing Windows SDK v8.1, so I downloaded and installed that last night. I also saw from the class that it’ll open Visual Studio, and I have Visual Studio 2017 from my previous class, so as far as I can tell, I have everything. I even updated and restarted my computer last night to see if that would help, (thinking maybe I needed to restart after installing Windows SDK 8.1), and I’m still getting the same error listed below. As far as I can tell, there are two errors, and the only one I’m able to decipher is that it’s not finding SDK 8.1, which again I just installed so I know I have it.

An error occurred while trying to generate project files.

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.19/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=“C:/Users/Thevo/OneDrive/Documents/Unreal Projects/MyProject3/MyProject3.uproject” -game -rocket -progress
Discovering modules, targets and source code for project…
WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UE4Editor: Unable to instantiate module ‘SubstanceCore’: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at UnrealBuildTool.Rules.SubstanceCore…ctor(ReadOnlyTargetRules Target) in c:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.19\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\Substance\Source\SubstanceCore\SubstanceCore.Build.cs:line 116
(referenced via UE4Editor.Target.cs -> Substance.uplugin)
Binding IntelliSense data… 0%@progress ‘Binding IntelliSense data…’ 50%
WARNING: Exception while generating include data for MyProject3Editor: Windows SDK v8.1 must be installed in order to build this target.
Binding IntelliSense data… 50%@progress ‘Binding IntelliSense data…’ 100%
ERROR: UnrealBuildTool Exception: Windows SDK v8.1 must be installed in order to build this target.

When you install Visual Studio there are several pre-requisites to install with it to work properly with Unreal Engine 4. You need to follow the instructions found in this page: Setting Up Visual Studio for Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine Documentation

Good Luck!

Following that linked tutorial, I got it working! Thank you so much!

Glad to hear it worked!