Download

Cannot create a new project

So, I’ve been working with Unreal for a few months on my newish laptop, but I was always making a blueprint project. I’m a college student, and my class has us working with C++ this term, but when I try to create a C++ project, I get the error at the bottom of this post. I tried to decipher it, but the only thing I was able to pick out is needing Windows SDK v8.1, so I downloaded and installed that last night. I also saw from the class that it’ll open Visual Studio, and I have Visual Studio 2017 from my previous class, so as far as I can tell, I have everything. I even updated and restarted my computer last night to see if that would help, (thinking maybe I needed to restart after installing Windows SDK 8.1), and I’m still getting the same error listed below. As far as I can tell, there are two errors, and the only one I’m able to decipher is that it’s not finding SDK 8.1, which again I just installed so I know I have it.

An error occurred while trying to generate project files.

Running C:/Program Files/Epic Games/UE_4.19/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe -projectfiles -project=“C:/Users/Thevo/OneDrive/Documents/Unreal Projects/MyProject3/MyProject3.uproject” -game -rocket -progress
Discovering modules, targets and source code for project…
WARNING: Exception while generating include data for UE4Editor: Unable to instantiate module ‘SubstanceCore’: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at UnrealBuildTool.Rules.SubstanceCore…ctor(ReadOnlyTargetRules Target) in c:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.19\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\Substance\Source\SubstanceCore\SubstanceCore.Build.cs:line 116
(referenced via UE4Editor.Target.cs → Substance.uplugin)
Binding IntelliSense data… 0%@progress ‘Binding IntelliSense data…’ 50%
WARNING: Exception while generating include data for MyProject3Editor: Windows SDK v8.1 must be installed in order to build this target.
Binding IntelliSense data… 50%@progress ‘Binding IntelliSense data…’ 100%
ERROR: UnrealBuildTool Exception: Windows SDK v8.1 must be installed in order to build this target.

When you install Visual Studio there are several pre-requisites to install with it to work properly with Unreal Engine 4. You need to follow the instructions found in this page: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Programming/Development/VisualStudioSetup

Good Luck!

Hey! Is this a completely new project, or is it one has someone else made? It looks like you might be missing the plugin Substance. I don’t know why not having it is a problem, but that might be it. You should also try opening visual studio and trying to build the code. And one last idea, make sure you are running Unreal as administrator. I’m not sure is anything I said will help, but I hope it will.

Cheers,

Tate

Following that linked tutorial, I got it working! Thank you so much!

Glad to hear it worked!