Download

Cannon VR Simulator - 7 day challenge

Hi there! Welcome to this awesome little personal challenge of mine.

I have been making games for about 10 years (as a hobby) with FPS Creator, UDK and now UE4 (been fiddling with the engine every day since day 0). Though I have never actually finished a game after all these years, and I haven’t really been a part of this awesome community (other than lurking in the shadows, watching others having fun).
So now is the time for some change :slight_smile:

At first this was meant to be a 7-day challenge, to see what I could do in such a short time. Though I could only work a few hours per day, so I will just keep on working and see what happens :slight_smile:
My goal is to use Houdini for everything. I have been using it for some cool effects during the last couple of years, but this will be the first time I use it all in for something like this. I have already found out lots of workflow-stuff, so feel free to ask if you want to use Houdini together with UE :slight_smile:

The game:
This will become some sort of cannon simulator. Like “Hotdogs, horseshoes and handgrenades” but with a giant 18th century cannon instead. You must clear the pipe, swab with sponge, put down the packed gunpowder, ram it with a ram, put down a cannonball, ram the ball with a ram, fill the ignition-hole (or whatever it is called) with gunpowder. Aim the cannon and then use the lint to fire the cannon.
The goal would be to hit targets like a castle, house, dragon or similar and do as much damage as possible with as few rounds as possible.
Maybe I will be able to add multiplayer support, so you can man the cannon together with friends :-)**

Current features:
**-The cannon can only be fired once you have done everything in the right order
-The cannon can actually fire a projectile. I am using the awesome BallisticsFX from Cubit Studios as a base
-You can pick up things, I am using physics handle for this to make operation of the cannon a bit more smooth
And lots of small random stuff

Make sure to come back to follow the progress :slight_smile: Will try to share as much as possible from this project (I am recording everything to make some sort of speed-videos)

Cheers!
Joakim

Day 1 update:

Been wrestling with both UE and Houdini. Feeling a bit rusty, but it’s going along quite nicely. Most of the core features have been added.

Here is video showing the modelling of the cannon in Houdini:

More or less 100% procedural modelling. Only used one edit-node for a tricky thing, and one polyextrude where I did the selection in viewport.

Here is the cannon in UE together with some cannonballs:

&stc=1

I did record how the cannon functions as of now, but I found out I had recorded in 5 FPS, so will have to do a new recording tomorrow.

Day 2 update (or really, day 3):

I was out and scanning dirt and stuff yesterday, so didn’t work directly on the game.

Figured out how to properly bake normal maps and masks from Houdini today, so I can start texturing stuff now :slight_smile:

Some gameplay:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=f3nGU_oiw7c

Will try to find a way to make the “insertion of sticks” much more smooth, to prevent frustration when trying to reload quickly.
I came up with an idea of how I could implement multiplayer in a fun way. May give it a go later this week.

Cheers!

//Joakim

I have been really busy with renovating my apartment this week, so having this as a 7-day challenge when I have only been able to work a couple of hours per night feels a bit pointless.
Though I will continue to work on this. It’s really fun and I keep learning lots of new stuff. Just got into rigging in Houdini, will add some 3D-scanned hands instead of the default robot hands. Looks amazing! Will post a new video later tonight showing them off when I am done with the animation :slight_smile:

Here is a video showing the progress of the high detail mesh that I am baking normal maps with. Had some problems with UVs so had to cheat and use zbrush for the barrel. Then run it through DDO2 to get a quite decent material (though I didn’t record this since I had a lot of problems with random stuff)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=fKEPsQd2Pss

Got the hands working, rigged and tweaked in Houdini. I am more and more falling in love with Houdini :slight_smile:
Also shows the new materials of the cannon barrel.
https://youtube.com/watch?v=vm2tuSapFGU

This looks awesome! Could you help me or tell me how you’ve done this? What steps it takes? This is exactly what I need for a current project i’m doing. I have no idea where to start as i’m quite new with Unreal Engine and was hoping you could help me?