Can you prevent a map or an asset from being renamed in the editor?

EDIT: My use case for this feature is no longer valid, making this question purely hypothetical. I wanted to make a mod editor based on a technique called pak patching, with which I thought one could only replace existing maps and assets, but as it turns out the addition of new maps and assets is also possible (see my other post for more information: I'd like to learn how to make a good modkit from scratch)

Out of curiosity I wanted to know if there’s a way to make it impossible to move, rename, and potentially even remove maps or assets within a given Unreal Engine project.

The problem is, because all the code for processing PAK files is publicly available, on the one hand there’s nothing you can do. Because even encrypting the PAK can easily be circumvented, and changing anything in the PAK can also be done.

But, on the other hand, if you’re prepared to modify the code fairly extensively, you can make enough changes to the PAK file format to make it unreadable by the stock code and close to impossible to patch ( for others ).

So, yes, if you’re prepared to rewrite a lot of the code that prepares and processes PAK files, you can have a pretty much tamper-free packaged game. It really depends what measures you’re prepared to take :slight_smile:

1 Like