Can you make a spline smoother on extreme curves?

I have a spline with three points for a camera animation. The mid point is higher than the start and end point. So basically its just a simple arc. However I notice that the segments that make up the spline don't seem to adapt to how extreme the curve is. So I get a jaggy spline when I want to have a smoother spline. This is especially important for the animation of the camera. 

Any ideas on how to solve that problem, or maybe there is a setting I am unaware of?

You can set the spline point interpolation mode by right clicking on a spline point and selecting an option under “Spline Point Type” in the context menu. Setting the type to “Curve” should make the spline interpolate smoothly.

It is set to Curve, the issue I have is that the curve itself isn’t smooth enough. In the image above you can see the point I have, just behind the camera. Then along that curve its jaggy instead of smooth. So I am getting a curve but its like the curve doesn’t have enough subdivisions for example.

Hmm, very strange. I am unable to reproduce what you are seeing.

Do you have that rig scaled in any way? What version of the engine are you using?

It is not scaled, I am using the “Camera Rig Rail” object.

Looks like I am in 4.23 on this project and not 4.24 so maybe there is a change between the two, I can see if that is the case.

Here is a paste of the object where the spline does that for me:

OK, I doubt the version has anything to do with it.

At a glance this looks like somewhat hard-coded arrive / leave tangents. How are you actually generating the spline? Manually or dynamically? And how are you setting the tangents?

This is the default behaviour:

Image from Gyazo

There seems to be more than 1 kink between the spline points, too. This, on its own, would be fairly tricky to reproduce.

At this point, it might be easier to just create a new spline :slight_smile:

On the other hand, Clayton.Campbell’s suggestion of setting it all to Curve should just work. Other than that, there must be something shady happening to the spline. Perhaps the construction script of that object is applying changes?

Version may well be the issue, though why would it occur in 4.23? Check the release notes for 4.24 under splines to see if there a bug that was fixed.

Does the camera have to be detached from the spline rig for the curve to activate / work? I know it sounds stupid, but it could be worth it to check quickly. I recall in Cascade that setting modules in a specific order influences how each module after it operates, even at the distribution (or curve) level. The camera might be unduly restricting the spline from becoming a curve even though it is set to Curve.

Here is what mine looks like to compare. I will look at 4.24 and also try some more spline setups, it could be that this is an issue specific to the camera rail actor and not splines themselves.

Are you able to open the camera rail actor in the mesh editor? or is it specific to Sequencer or whichever other editor? It appears the spline is somewhat offset from the rig’s exact path too, where each spline segment is not exactly parallel in points and segments to the rig’s.

1 Like

Hey mate, did you ever find a solution to this?

Just what I was looking for, thank you!!