can we use Python instead of Verse?

Is it possible to use Python instead of Verse in the Fortnite Editor? Are the same bindings/functions exposed to Python as well?

2 Likes

Hi @sbohuswork:

Verse is the only language supported for scripting in UEFN and no, there are no equivalent exposed Python bindings. We’d encourage you to give it a try; your existing knowledge of general programming concepts in Python still carry over to Verse, even if the syntax and semantics are different: Learn Programming with Verse

Are you planning to use Python for UEFN Editor itself? Like Python for Unreal Engine? Using Python in UEFN can seriously boost effectivity in map creating. For example import FBX or Fab Assets , locate it on the map using json files, create devices and so on. I very hope it is your plan :slight_smile:

Python is dynamically typed, it would be a nightmare for future updates and deprecations. Poor API discoverability too.

1 Like

Hi @gamozy:

There are no current plans to support Python, or any other languages, as additional scripting languages in UEFN at the moment. We encourage you to take a look at Verse, and to give feedback on what priorities you’d like the language to support. Importing assets and exposing them to Verse, for example, is now available with the introduction of asset reflection in 26.00.

4 Likes

Thanks for the response! Can we use Verse for work in UEFN editor, not for game play logic? For example, can I remove assets in editor with Verse, or import from FBX assets? Are you planning to implement ability to work in Editor with scripts? It will very helpful I guess

Hi @Gamozy:

Verse isn’t currently run within the editor to automate/script things like this, but there are future plans to have Verse integrated with UE itself that would potentially allow for such features to work, not just limited to UEFN. However that is definitely not something that will be available in the short-term.

2 Likes

How about now? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why do people ask about python already? Go ahead and do your python scripts in UE5 if you really want to do some python