Can we get a tutorial on release builds?

I’m looking at preparing some projects for release / profiling over the next month.

There’s still a lot of unknowns that it would be good to get a page for Epic consolidating all the answers.

There’s a few questions I’m looking at:

1. How to compile 64-bit release. Currently, I can’t do this as it seems to request VS2010 tools to be installed - which will likely cause issues if all the other components have been run and tested in VS2013

2. How to turn off AI logging

3. How to turn off GC verify

4. What plugins are advised to be killed in a final build unless needed?

5. how to limit logging to errors. Is this default in shipping?

6. Profiling tips - stat startfile and others. What works where. (The ctrl-shift-comma gpu command works in editor but crashes standalone builds) What the main areas of these graphs refer to.

7. What console commands are available to turn AA and other performance related things on/off

8. Lean and mean config - not pretty but minimum cost to render. A baseline to add features on.

9. Everything else needed to package for release/performance that’s not on this list.

10. What changes have been made to this system (Hourences.com – Tutorials – UE3 Performance Profiling Introduction ) and what the stats mean to your game (some are obvious, but some are UE4 specific).

At the moment it feels like it’s almost impossible to know what the end frame rate will be for the projects. This make it hard to direct artists on things like polycounts and material complexity.

Any progress to this?

Hi all,

That’s really a lot of different issues to address in one thread. I’d like to point out that we have a pretty thorough documentation setup to which we are constantly adding as the engine changes. Also, the Community Wiki is very useful for users to collaborate on answers and frequently seen issues. Lastly, we have an extensive video tutorial collection, made by Epic and by the community of users for you to peruse.

If you go through these resources and find that your questions still aren’t answered, we can take them one at a time and possibly put in feature requests for specific issues that have not already been addressed. Please be sure to check the forums, as many times devs will communicate on UE4 aspects that are slated to be added or at least discussed.

I hope this helps!

1. How to compile 64-bit release. Currently, I can’t do this as it seems to request VS2010 tools to be installed - which will likely cause issues if all the other components have been run and tested in VS2013

I don’t understand your problem. Compiling release is simple, select configuration and compile and if You have a problems with compilation reinstall visual studio, remember to install service packs too.

1. How to turn off AI logging

Disabled by default in Shipping conf
For normal build you can use :
-NOAILOGGING

1. How to turn off GC verify

Disabled by default in shipping

-NOVERIFYGC

1. how to limit logging to errors. Is this default in shipping?

logging is disabled in shipping

1. Profiling tips - stat startfile and others. What works where. (The ctrl-shift-comma gpu command works in editor but crashes standalone builds) What the main areas of these graphs refer to.

I would recomend profile with Test it is similiar to shipping with console support configuration but of course by default stat startfile is disabled in Test. You can enable stat startfile by changing in Build.h

#define STATS											0

to 

#define STATS											1

under 

#elif UE_BUILD_TEST
  1. What console commands are available to turn AA and other performance related things on/off

You should take a look Engine\Config\BaseScalability.ini
this config contains some graphics settings collected as scalability 0 - low ,1,2,3 - high

1. What changes have been made to this system (Hourences.com – Tutorials – UE3 Performance Profiling Introduction ) and what the stats mean to your game (some are obvious, but some are UE4 specific).

It is hard to describe differences between UE3 and UE4 profiling system, but basically it looks the same:)

stats are here
profiler is here

I believe this is what you are looking for: