Can Unreal utilize Sprite Asset Sheets

Hello forums!

I was wondering if Spirte Asset Sheets can be created with unreal.

an example is in this GDC talk.

If it doesn’t skip for you, skip right to 7:03 and the developer speaks about having sprite sheets versus sprite asset sheets in which a sprite sheet will be absurdly big versus a sprite asset sheet for a lot of animations will be small and will use a text file for interpolation data between assets.

this seems like a really good way to optimize and save time/space/data for bigger 2d games.

I’m currently beginning work on a big paper2d game and would like to know if I can use this technique.

if it can be done, what can I look at to start working on some template Sprite Asset Sheets. what it seems is that it uses a json file for interpolation data while just giving in the sprite assets themselves.

Are there programs that can create these json file? just curious.

Thank You,

Alex Batista

Yes it does.
And it also supports texture atlases. Google first?!

Whoa, so I used google and did not find the results I was looking for which was how to create/utilize/or set this up.

So since you found what I could not, enlighten me.

Thank you :smiley:

EDIT: Oops too early in the morning, realised I haven’t answered the OP properly :stuck_out_tongue:

Apparently Flash can export json files. And there seems to be a script to be able to export from After Effects too but I haven’t used this system myself yet.

I think the infiltrator demo had the explosion imported from After Effects as well