Can’t open UE5 or lyra game. Getting Error msg api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is missing

Hi there,

I keep getting this error everytime I try and open either a new project in UE5 or the Lyra game that I downloaded.

Error msg api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll is missing

I’m trying to upgrade the game I’m making for steam from UE 4.20 to UE5 and also want to get a chance to check out all the new exciting features and play Lyra. I’ve downloaded UE5 and also updated my Visual Studio to 2019 following the instrctions on the Unreal website only difference is the SDK is newer than the one recommended there. I’m dyslexic and guessing this may be something super obvious but I can’t understand what I’m doing wrong after searching the forums and web I still haven’t found the correct solution. Any help would be much appricated.

1 Like

Also forgot to say I’m using windows 7 I don’t know if that is the problem

same, and tried downloading DLL files and copying them in the system 32 and syswow64 and it didn’t work.

1 Like

Thanks I still didn’t find a solution but will let you know if I find one. For now I’m focusing on just trying to release my game using ue4. I already built a working multiplayer in that, which makes this whole thing feel a bit sad now with ue5

I was using Windows 7 and unreal didn’t work but after installing Windows 10 it 's working normally.

1 Like

Hey folks,
also using Windows 7 still…
also able to run Unreal v4, and, unable to run Unreal v5…
also getting the “api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0-dll” is missing error…

Troubleshooting now.

Seems like the root of the issue is something to do with Unreal’s dependency on Python v3.9^ or some such?

Some folks seem to be “working around” this through means such as this (at least with regard to Blender installations):