Can Substance be used with landscape layer blend?

I have a landscape material created with the material editor that I am looking to improve upon. For this I am looking toward Substance materials.

A traditional material instance allows you to manipulate each layer independently…and I see that when you import substance materials into the editor that they come along with their own instances…also I have noticed that they appear to be different from traditional material instances.

My questions are this:

1. Can Substance instances be used with landscape layer blends and traditional instances, and if so what are the benefits of this?

2. From what I understand…and I could be very wrong…Substance materials are live textures. Can you have multiple instances of the same texture or does this require duplicates?

For example…lets say I have an instance of my landscape material applied to one component with 6 textures. Then I have a different instance with 6 different textures applied to the component right next to it. Can I use the same Substance textures, however instanced to each traditional material instance? Am I totally misunderstanding the way Substance integrates in to UE4?

There is very little information out there about Substance; outside of Substance. On top of this, I have not really seen Substance materials used with landscapes accept for a couple examples.

Thanks for any help…

I am extremely knew to substance but yes you can use layer blend with substance. Substance creates modifiable textures. The textures themselves are no different then any other texture what makes them modifiable is the factory which you can use to change the texture. Not to sure if you have seen a youtube video about how to use substance with terrain but I am going through it right now and seem to have possibly hit a bug as my material looks fine but the terrain is just black. Still need to look into the possible problem but I hope that helps.