Can I use materials to do stuff like this? [videos]

Hi all,

I’m just getting started with Blueprints and game engines in general, and I’ve built a couple of basic levels and followed the tutorials online. I’m at a crossroads in determining whether or not I want to move forward with Blueprints, or if I want to move forward with something like WebGL. I’ve built a few prototypes in WebGL, as well, so I have a point of comparison with the basics of how each works.

My aim is to make specific types of worlds that are abstract (please see these visual references):

Related to that first video, I’ve got a 360 degree camera and I’m wanting to use my footage with graphical elements laid over it to create interesting navigable environments. The second video is a demonstration of the worlds I’d like ot build as being totally abstract: there are glitches, whales made of ascii art, etc. The final video requires special hardware, but I love how it’s using point cloud data to create striking recreations of nature.

Although I love how quickly Blueprints lets me create levels and iterate on ideas, I’m not sure if it is the right choice for what I want to achieve. I know I can program shaders in Unreal to some extent, but I’m not familiar enough to know what that extent is.

My question is: Is it possible to create things like I’m referencing above using Unreal engine, or is it a better bet for me to continue with WebGL? I’d love to use Blueprints, if possible so that I can focus on content creation rather than futz with code, but I’m not sure if it’s the smartest option given the aesthetic I’m going for.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated at this important juncture for me!